NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 New Beetle 2.5 with about 102K miles. I tried to start it this morning and the key just spins in the ignition. I tried every combination of wiggling the wheel and turning the key but it won't do anything but spin freely. To make matters worse, the key can't be removed from the ignition. It also seems as if the ignition assembly is a little loose - it wiggles around pretty easily.

I'm assuming I'm going to need a new ignition assembly. But is there a way to get the key out in the meantime? I have to leave the car parked outside in a somewhat urban area and don't want to leave it with the key in it.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
If it just turns and won't start, not much danger in leaving the key in it, huh?

I suggest you stop "turning" it as you are twisting the wires and either going to pull one out of the plug, or short something out. The key is not coming out because you can not turn it backwards without the switch turning. Ditto why it won't turn forward and crank. I think this part should fix you up.
Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5L > Search > Ignition Switch > ES#1896875 Ignition Switch - 4B0905849
If you'll notice the little black tab on the side, your's is probably broken off. This tab appears to be what keeps the switch from turning. Once you gain access to the switch you should be able to physically hold it, crank and start the car or remove the key.

MORAV

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Obviously I'm not worried about it getting stolen, but I am worried about not being able to lock it and it getting trashed inside. People around here do crap like that.

Can you recommend a DIY for replacing the ignition switch? I want to at least gain access to it so I can try to get the key out.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
You have no remote?

Aside from that, I have looked closer at the ignition switch set-up. I think there may be a rod that connects the key cylinder to the switch which may be the problem. How freely does the switch turn? Really need some help here from someone who has had this apart. Wish I could find something in the Bentley, but I'm still looking.

Trying to find a pic of the ignition cylinder, wanted to see the stem end, this ones not very good. But the more I look and think, I think this is the side that is going to be the problem.

M.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The remote is built into the key itself.

It turns pretty freely. Very little resistance. And it turns in both directions, although it's a bit stiffer when turned backwards.

I tried to access the switch, but this car does not have torx screws holding the steering column cover on. They are square-headed fasteners like nothing I've ever seen.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
The remote is built into the key itself.
Doh! What was I thinking? Too many cars! All my others can be separated.
It turns pretty freely. Very little resistance. And it turns in both directions, although it's a bit stiffer when turned backwards.

I tried to access the switch, but this car does not have torx screws holding the steering column cover on. They are square-headed fasteners like nothing I've ever seen.
I wish I could help further, gonna' take someone who has been there to help you with the R&R. Sorry.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I appreciate the effort. I think I'm screwed and am going to have to have it towed to a shop on Monday.

The minute this car hit 100K miles it began to self-destruct at an alarming rate. I've already spent over $2,000 on repairs in the last 2 months.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update:

I managed to get the plastic cover off the steering column by breaking it - I had to since I couldn't turn the steering wheel.

Anyway, when I removed the plastic cover, I tried again to remove the key and this time the entire ignition lock came out. It came out very easily - little to no force was required. Then, the key came right out. WTF?

If I hold the lock in my hand, I can insert the key and it will turn about 90º or so and stop just like it's supposed to. If I turn the key back counterclockwise, it pulls right out. So it would appear that the lock cylinder was turning inside the steering column. But why couldn't I get the key out until the lock cylinder was out? And, most importantly, what now??

Is a new lock cylinder needed? Or is it something else?

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Appears to be a cast housing on the cylinder. Is that damage to the casting? It appears that way. What happens now if you hold it back in place and try to operate it. Is it still turning freely or can you crank/remove the key? How does the cylinder operate out of the column? Is the cam turning?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a similar problem. I took the ignition switch which is on the other side of the housing out and found a piece of broken rod inside. The rod is T-shaped. I am not sure if there is a replacement for it. Can anyone help?

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I think there must a rod that connects the ignition switch cylinder (what is being discussed here) on the right side of the column with the ignition switch on the left side, which may or may not be the problem, or part there of, this OPer is having. Do you have any pictures? I'm going to check the Bentley Repair Manual and see if I can find anything, but I'm having issues with opening some of the content in it.

Perhaps someone else...

M.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I picked it up from the shop today - with a wallet nearly $700 lighter. Something broke in the steering wheel lock mechanism which prevented the tabs on the lock cylinder from lining up. There was no way the cylinder was going back in without new parts.

The cylinder itself seems to fine although there is no explanation for how it came out in the first place.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts