NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay...i'll be the first one to say that i'm a bit retarded...

i've tried a few different ways of mounting an Audi TT shift knob into my bug, but after a few minutes of driving, the knob always shakes off in my hand, and i'm left shifting my way home with my new sawed-off shift lever...

so i need advice from anyone that has one in their bug to tell me how they did it...is there some kind of adapter i could pick up at a parts place or eBay, because the copper pipe fittings from the hardware store aren't working...

i also have a set of TT dash vents, and am wondering if there's a trick to get the inner ones out or if i just cut the brackets holding them in place from the inside...

a big thanks in advance to anyone that can help me!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i'll think about that...i could give them to my aunt for her '05'vert...

but, what's the nightmare??? a little dremmeling and some super glue???

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Did you ever install your TT shift knob on your Beetle? I have a nice Aluminum Shift knob from my old TT that I would like to install on my NB but don't know how. Please advise and share if you were able to get er dun. ;-)

·
ElectricHarleyHouseOfLove
1,751 Posts
I had fun with this one a couple weeks ago.

tried using the plastic bits on the tt knob, but even with hose clamp they just wouldn't get tight enough and knob kept coming off. So I ended up cannibalizing my stock knob a bit.

IMG_5348.JPG

Took the bottom part off to attach to the TT knob.. The part that goes inside the knob will have to be trimmed to fit inside the TT knob. Once that was done, I used 2 part epoxy to hold the plastic to the new knob.

IMG_5353.JPG

couple other issues will be the length of the shifter rod.. because the stock knob is so much longer than the TT knob, the stock shift boot (or the one i just made as a replacement, in my case) won't fit, so you'll either have to do something else for the boot, or cut off some of the shifter rod before putting the boot and knob back on. I took mine down to the base of the part where the indent in the top of rod is (was an inch or so, i think..? maybe a bit more.. sorry no picture), but the boot is still a bit tight and pops out of the console sometimes, so may need to go a bit more than that.

Also, the white plastic of the bracket piece liked to peek through a bit, so i just put a zip tie around the edge of the lip of that (inside the boot) to hold it in place, as well as the hose clamp to tighten down the bracket to the rod.

IMG_5356.JPG

tada!

maybe people have come up with other ways to do it, but that's what I did. :)

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Thanks Harlequin Pixie for the pics and the great advice. I may give your idea a shot. The only problem I can see is if I cannibalize the stock knob and mess things up then I am stuck without any knob on the shifter :eek: I was thinking perhaps just so swap out the shift rod itself for one that is made for the TT. That way the shift knob would fit without problems and can be screwed on and off if so desired. I have to check into this but I heard someone say that the parts required are about 60 bucks and should be an easy swap. I have to find out the part numbers and see if I can do this.
Thanks again for your help and I may still go that way in case I can't find a TT shift rod.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts