NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there people,
I need some help or suggestions for my 1999 New Beetle.
the rear lid does not open anymore. The remote doesn't work and hasn't worked for years now and then the key access stopped working. When I put the key in and turn it, it feels like nothing is there because there is almost no resistance in the turning of the key.
I a actually think (or hope) that something just fell off on the inside.
How do I go about getting this thing open from the inside so I can try to repair it?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
The lock for the rear lid is electrically actuated. The key in the rear lid actually is a switch that operates the actuator. There are two other ways to open it: the switch on the driver's door and the key remote. If the problem is with the electrical actuator, none of these will work.

The actuator is inside the hatch. Here is a how-to on replacing it:

http://newbeetle.org/forums/technical-how/11237-how-replace-remote-rear-hatch-actuator.html

I think I have seen others say that they have been able to remove the hatch trim with the door closed. There are 2 screws hidden in the pulls and then it unclips at the bottom and lifts up, much like a door panel. Once you have the trim off you can open the hatch by pushing on the lock rod.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
You're welcome. When you solve your problem be sure to post back here so others can benefit from your experience.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts