VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
2003 Cyber Green 2.0
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

The snow has come later than usual in my neck of the woods but winter is soon to be upon us. Been trying to swap my winter tires (on rims) onto my 2003 VW Beetle but can't figure out how to access the lug nuts and take the alloy rims off.

Which tool do I use from the kit in the boot to remove the black plastic knobs in each of the holes? :confused:

Thanks.

·
Registered
128 Posts
The lug nuts are covered by the black plastic covers. The silver tool to the right of the jack has a bent end that will fit in the hole in the cover and pull them off.

Really though, if you couldn't figure that out maybe you should enlist a professional to do this for you. An improperly attached wheel could cause a serious accident.

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
There should be a little thing like this in there which is used to remove the covers.

You can use a pair of needle nose pliers in a pinch. Search for vw lug cover removal tool to replace it.
The locking lugs come loose with the round adapter to the left of the jack.

Here is how the jack works
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2NzTeGXlqw

·
2003 Cyber Green 2.0
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys.
The plastic caps popped off like a charm.
Only problem is getting a few of the lug nuts which are overtightened off using the tire iron (the nuts are a bit rusted). Got 2 of my wheels changed over to winters, now to battle the other 2 tonight! :p

·
2003 Cyber Green 2.0
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just finished swapping all 4 over to winter tires. Horray..
But after finishing, I noticed that one of my pinch welds is damaged (not sure if it was already like that or cracked just now). Do I need to be concerned about rust / further cracking? Any precautions I should take when jacking up that particular wheel next time?

·
2003 Cyber Green 2.0
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any chance I can get an opinion on this?
I'm also heading to the body shop for some paint touchups tomorrow, so I'm going to ask my guy there. But wanted a preliminary assessment from the Org.

·
2003 Cyber Green 2.0
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update:
Chatted with my body shop guy and he said while there isn't a big worry about it continuing to crack, the exposed metal would be susceptible to rust. He offered to weld it back together and rust proof it for cheap, so I took him up on the offer.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yep. Just the tools in the kit along with a piece of pipe to go over the tire iron to break the tightest bolts loose.
I would suggest the tool kit is for emergency use, not regular maintenance. That may be why you damaged the seam. The wheel bolts should be torqued, which you cannot do with the lug wrench. As I said earlier, if you don't have the proper tools, this type of work may be best left to professionals.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts