NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I need any and all advice and help that you all could possible give me on this very weird issue. Sorry for being so long winded but it takes a lot to properly explain my issue.

I have a 2002 tubo and about two months ago after coming home from a 200 mile trip, I went to start the car and it would not start, it would crank but would act like it wasnt getting any fuel, so I started with the least expensive parts and moved up to the more expensive(replaced the fuel filer, fuel pump relay and the fuel pump) but non of this helped. I read somewhere that the door lock actuator can cause the car to not start, so I removed the door panel on the drivers side and unhooked the actuator, touched the positive and negative cables together to reset the computer and the car started right up. While the car was running, I plugged the actuator in and immediately the car died and would not start. So I unplugged the actuator again, tried to start the car and nothing until I reset the computer again, and then fired right up.

So, I came to the conclusion that it was a bad door lock actuator causing this issues, waited until I had an extra $200 laying around to buy a new one(which was yesterday). I installed the new actuator and was feeling pretty good about my mechanical skills until I went to start it, and sure enough, it would not start. Repeated the same steps as I did with the old actuator to get car started, tried all the same test and got the same results. So, now I do not believe that the actuator was or is bad. I traced the wires to see if I could see any shorts or cuts in them but I found nothing.:confused:

Please, if any one has an answer or suggestion, I would be very grateful!!:D

Eric

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Wow, that is very weird. I'd say the first thing to do is hook it to a VAG-COM and look for codes with and without the door lock actuator. You'll need the full VAG-COM, not just OBDII.

For some reason it seems that disrupting the CAN-bus communications of the comfort control system allows the ECM to operate normally. Not sure why that should be...

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Not an expert on the alarm/immobilizer in these cars, but the door latch mechanism do a lot and the driver door also has the interface for the key lock to disable the alarm system.

I have a 2003 convertible and each door is on latch #3, so it would not surprise me if something is wrong with your latch.

Sometimes solder joints breaks, sometimes the switches break.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts