NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My AC/heater has been working just fine in my 98 NB until last week. I went to turn the fan down from 3 to 2 and the power didn't change. It was blowing at 3 even though it was on 2. I switched it off and it began blowing at level 2. It randomly started picking a level to blow at regardless of where I changed the knob to.
Now it won't turn on at all. It's perpetually stuck in off (though I can turn the knob to any power level). How do I get in to check/replace the switch for that? Or any other ideas on how to fix it? I'm trying desperately to stay away from a dealer or repair shop.

·
New Beetle Accessories
1,226 Posts
It sounds like the innards of the switch broke. This is a fairly common problem that has occurred when changing the bulb for the heater/ac controls, which is located behind the blower knob. There is a metal ring that separates from the contacts so that the blower will not work. This sounds like it could be your problem. There is a substantial thread on the old forums about this, but I can't seem to find it.....it involves pulling the radio and removing the center dash piece. I'll look again....

·
New Beetle Accessories
1,226 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts