NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Addicted To Chaos TS
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I just bought a Tial Style 50mm V Band Blow Off Valve BOV Q Type Universal w/ Weld On Aluminum that said it was compatible and would work in my 04' Turbo S but I'm not quite sure where it's supposed to go. I'm using a Forge Split-R recirculating DV right now and obviously this BOV looks different so I'm assuming it's supposed to go onto another pipe maybe? Not sure where it's supposed to be installed and could please use someone's help that's hopefully got a TS or ? Any pics would be totally appreciated as well. Thanks for checking this out for me. Here's the link to the BOV w/incl. hardware. :D
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tial-Style-50mm-V-Band-Blow-Off-Valve-BOV-Q-Type-Universal-w-Weld-On-Aluminum/122614761664?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

·
Registered
13,535 Posts
From looking at the official TIAL SPORT website; there are a number of b/o valve variants, based upon that design, there is a "QR" recirculation valve and that might be the type that would work for the 1.8t (the 50 mm port in particular would probably need some adapter/hoses to fit the existing tip hose). You might contact the company and see what they say/recommend;

http://tialsport.com/tial-products/bovs

Note: based upon what you paid; it looks like you purchased a non genuine TIAL design Chinese knock off part, genuine TIAL valves seem to be in the $200-$300 price range.

By the way, why did you want to upgrade from your Forge splitter valve? Historically, they seem to make a solid product specifically designed to work with the VAG 1.8T engines ; the latest model FMDV008, is said to be a big improvement over the older design, you are currently using.

Brand: Forge Motorsport Turbo Recirculation Valve Product code: FMDV008

https://www.forgemotorsport.com/Turbo_Recirculation_Valve--product--756.html#

·
5/23/10 <3
11,126 Posts
Also, keep in mind that these engines are designed for a DV, not a BOV. So you may have driveability issues with the BOV installed. I'd stick with a high quality DV, like Forge. If you want more sound, just get a cold air intake and bigger exhaust.

·
Addicted To Chaos TS
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also, keep in mind that these engines are designed for a DV, not a BOV. So you may have driveability issues with the BOV installed. I'd stick with a high quality DV, like Forge. If you want more sound, just get a cold air intake and bigger exhaust.

Thanks, Smileybug for that. I know, you're right. As for my Forge, just a question, when it refers to going atmospheric with it's options would that be basically using it as a BOV? Thanks for the help.

·
Addicted To Chaos TS
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks billymade. I knew it was a Tial knock off. I guess the supposed psi increase lured me to buy it and all. I still wanted to try it but I can't see where it's supposed to go. I'm sure I'll need an extra pipe or two as it doesn't look to go where my Forge is. I just can't see where in the engine it's supposed to fit?

·
Registered
13,535 Posts

·
5/23/10 <3
11,126 Posts
I guess the supposed psi increase lured me to buy it and all.
This piece alone won't give you more boost. It is just a piece that will hold more boost for if you tune the car. Which any aftermarket DV will allow for as well. I am Stage 2 on my GTI and have a Forge 007 DV and it holds 21psi with no problems.

And in a sense, yes, saying venting to atmosphere is basically like using a BOV. But I will say the Forge splitters do seem to be less problematic than a straight BOV, since they are designed for these systems. I would just run that and get rid of the knockoff you bought. https://www.forgemotorsport.com/The_Splitter_a_Recirculation_and_Blow_Off_Valve--product--793.html

·
Addicted To Chaos TS
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I suppose you're right. It WAS compatible as far as the "Check the Compatibility of Your Vehicle" goes, and nearly all others weren't. Anyway, I do have a CAI, been chipped at Neuspeed with a Flowmaster Super 44 Series street muffler & brand new Wicked Flow exhaust. I guess I'll just keep my Forge RDV & I've got a Forge Turbo Inlet Intake pipe on the way so that'll do for now. Thanks very much to you Smileybug and billymade for the advice. I always appreciate the help. ;) Have a great weekend.

·
Addicted To Chaos TS
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh, BTW, who do I talk to about not getting my email notices of replies on this thread? I just happened to check it and saw I had some. I've always gotten them before but have not with this one.?? Thanks for your help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts