NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
need help with cooling hose flange installation
i've done some reading in reference to the flange, [ i removed the hoses that were accessible first, then the bracket nut, followed by removing bolts giggling the flange loose then removed the bottom hoses. next i cleaned the surface with degreaser wiped clean then use sandpaper [fine] to complete the cleaning process.
my question is now when i attach the new flange do i use grease or silicon on the o-ring or just attach as is?
i'm new with nb2.0

pics attached

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Have you gotten the black metal hose back in? I am stuck at the same location you are + not being able to push the black metal hose in.

I also have not heard anything about any type of additional additives or products being used to complete the seal on the flange.

-Jessica.

·
Super smart senior member
857 Posts
Yes, you should use some liquid gasket to give it a tight seal even though it has a gasket. Thats what I did atleast and its worked just fine although I think you would be ok without it.

Just be sure not to over tighten the bolts because the head will snap right off.

And Jen, what Metal Tube are you talking about?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
the black metal tube, its called the bracket, when the nut that holds it in place is removed all you do is pull it slightly toward the front of the engine compartment just enough to clear the flange.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
You should be god with the o-ring seal with the good job you did with cleaning the block.

be sure to torque the bolts to 15Nm specified in bentley.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Yes, you should use some liquid gasket to give it a tight seal even though it has a gasket. Thats what I did atleast and its worked just fine although I think you would be ok without it.

Just be sure not to over tighten the bolts because the head will snap right off.

And Jen, what Metal Tube are you talking about?

You should not have to use liquid gasket. The O-ring is the seal "as the engineers designed it to be". I did the very same repair and mine is 100% not leaking.(http://newbeetle.org/forums/1-8-liter-turbo/46599-found-coolant-hose-flange-leak-plus-transmission-mount-attached-incorectly.html#post738421)

·
Super smart senior member
857 Posts
You should not have to use liquid gasket. The O-ring is the seal "as the engineers designed it to be". I did the very same repair and mine is 100% not leaking.(http://newbeetle.org/forums/1-8-liter-turbo/46599-found-coolant-hose-flange-leak-plus-transmission-mount-attached-incorectly.html#post738421)
Well as we all know how VW "Designs" something to be isnt always how it works. Ergo, water pump, coolant flange, cam follower, engine mounts, MAF's, steering wheels and the list could go on forever.

And since the seals on these things harden and deteriorate so quickly liquid gasket is fine to use as a backup.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
okay all is back in place, please note that i went with "The O-ring is the seal "as the engineers designed it to be" since i found the task easy for someone with a bit of experience with mechanical issues.
since i'm also replacing the thermostat and related flange, so until i complete that job i can not verify for leaks. yet, i will post results when finished.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts