NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
bugaholic
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to install a new gauge face in my 00 beetle. However, I am having problems removing the needles for the speedometer, gas, and tachometer. I removed the little silver things, but then cannot seem to get the actual needle off, any suggestions to help me out?:confused: I'm super excited to get this face plate onto my girl. Thanks so much for any help!:D

·
bugaholic
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your help, i'll be sure to ask if I have any more questions. I tried searching and couldnt find your other posts on them until after I posted. Thanks again!

·
GENETIX RACING
100 Posts
what u should do is cut an outline of your gauge needles out of your new face gauges and fit the face on since they won't come off..or you can give up, or take to a professional .......orrr paint your old gauges :D

·
Get in.Buckle Up.Hang on.
6,525 Posts
Ok, I got one for you 'do-it-yourselfers' :D

I have the three dimpled needles from my original gauge cluster. I want to use them in my three VDO gauges, but the VDO front surround seems soldered to the body of the gauge, so I can't seem to be able to remove the glass to switch the needles out. Any ideas or are there any other gauge brands that have removable fronts? :confused:

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
Get a dremel tool Bill. :) It'll unweld that puppy so fast it'll make your head spin.

There's certain extreme measures one has to go to in order to go custom. That's why 'custom' deserves so much more regard than 'purchased'.

noR

·
6,525 Posts
Soldered was a poor choice of words by me, it more like the front is 'pinched/molded' around the edge of the body and holding in the glass at its top/outside edge. You can't get anything under the top or bottom edge and, even if u did, you wouldn't be able to get it back on in the same condition...:(

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
I guess I'd have to see it to understand. But the trick is to do it w/a steady hand and in an innocuous placement.

That's just how it's done.

But eh, I imagine there's a different set of gauges you can find that are modifiable in the manner you want. Just keep in mind that altering the weight may or may not effect gauge performance. That's probably why they're sealed units to begin with.

·
6,525 Posts
Here's a close up before senders and billet rings were installed. See the black rings and how they hug the glass faces? It does the same on the sides of the body also...I really hate those black needle holders...:mad:

Attachments

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
Hmm, I see what you mean.

So you couldn't cut the body behind the front edge of the gauge housing and pull the cover off in 2 parts? That way you could mend them back together behind the housing and never know it was seperated.

noR

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
I suggest you do it VERY shallow (you don't know what's under the casing), and as close to the front as possible. w/in a 1/4" of where the housing edge ... give or take.

Oh hey, take some pics throughout. Few of us will ever see the inside of those gauges. And who knows, maybe Billsbug will pioneer the VDO Gauge needle swap how-to. ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts