NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was searching for a DIY for removing and installing the left and right side Engine/Transmission mounts. The dogbone is pretty much cake and installs in a few minutes but I am more concerned about the two side mounts. I have the mounts in hand along with new mounting bolts and am ready to install them but I would like to know what I am getting into first. There doesn't seem to be any DIY's out there for this job. Seems everyone is changing the dogmount but don't touch the side mounts? If anyone has any advice or knows a link for a good DIY to replace the engine mounts on a New Beetle please share them with me. Also I am not sure of the torque specs. Could someone with a Bentley manual let me know what the torque specs are on the bolts for the side mounts?
Thank you in advance for your help.

Tom in Indy
2000 Yellow New Beetle 1.8

·
Beetleman
430 Posts
The first thing you need to do is get an engine support/bridge to support the engine then you will need a good torque wrench with Newton Meter scale (most have both ft.lbs and NM scales).
When loosening the bolts, take the weight off of the mounts before loosening the 16mm mount to body bolts. This will prevent any galling of the threads in the body.
Here are the tightening specs:
If you cannot find an engine bridge, you can support the engine from underneath using a floor jack and block of wood under the oil pan. It's risky and may damage the pan if not done correctly.
I would recommend using a bridge or building a support to hold the engine from the top.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The first thing you need to do is get an engine support/bridge to support the engine then you will need a good torque wrench with Newton Meter scale (most have both ft.lbs and NM scales).
When loosening the bolts, take the weight off of the mounts before loosening the 16mm mount to body bolts. This will prevent any galling of the threads in the body.
Here are the tightening specs:
If you cannot find an engine bridge, you can support the engine from underneath using a floor jack and block of wood under the oil pan. It's risky and may damage the pan if not done correctly.
I would recommend using a bridge or building a support to hold the engine from the top.
Thanks, this helped a lot! I just finished the job and it was easier than expected. On the passenger side I had to remove the Coolant Overflow reservoir but that wasn't so bad. On the drivers side the airbox had to be removed and then there is this plastic cover that flips open to reveal some cables and if you push the cables to one side they will reveal holes to put your socket through in order to remove the necessary bolts. I did use a Wooden Board underneath the oil pan and it seemed to work okay without any damage to the oil pan or gasket. Just had to give the engine/transmission enough support to take the weight off the mounts. I did the passenger side first and then the drivers side. Lining up the drivers side was a bit tricky and I actually had to lower the engine a bit in order to put my Phillips head through the alignment guide hole and push the mount where it would align with the bracket. But all in all it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The dogbone mount was the easiest of them all. That took about 10 minutes or less to replace. The top two mounts were a bit more of a pain and all in all took me about an hour on each side. Total job to replace all three mounts was about 2 hours and 15 minutes and that included putting everything back together and cleaning up. The old mounts were a bit brittle and spongey. So I hope the new mounts will help to keep the engine forces at bay ;)
Thanks again for all your help!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts