1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for something kind of like this:

http://newbeetle.org/forums/technical-how/2017-mirror-swap-01-02-98-00-how.html

...but for the 2005 Beetle.

I have an exploded view diagram/parts list page I obtained from VW but it shows a screw that is not present on my car.

Anyone know where I can get a guide?
I took the mirror apart as best I could but got stuck and had to put it all back together again.

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
Where did ya get stuck at? the trim pieces or the 3 mirror bolts. This is a P.I.A. job. Believe me, I know.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got the screw on the car body which holds the black triangular plastic trim out. Took off the trim. Popped the little screw cover on the bottom of the mirror. Undid the bigger silver screw that was hidden underneath that. Diagram shows one more screw where the head is facing the ground and the screw goes up into the corner of the mirror closest to the front of the car and closest to the body of the car. I got down on the ground with a flashlight and looked up but could not see any screw head remaining there.

The mirrors housing was loose and felt like it was ready to come loose but I just didn't know where to go from there.

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
I got the screw on the car body which holds the black triangular plastic trim out. Took off the trim. Popped the little screw cover on the bottom of the mirror. Undid the bigger silver screw that was hidden underneath that. Diagram shows one more screw where the head is facing the ground and the screw goes up into the corner of the mirror closest to the front of the car and closest to the body of the car. I got down on the ground with a flashlight and looked up but could not see any screw head remaining there.

The mirrors housing was loose and felt like it was ready to come loose but I just didn't know where to go from there.
If you had all the trim off you are really close. The mirror is held by 3 hex-bolts. Two are easy to get at. One the door must be opened to a certain point where the last bolt is visible, as it is part of the door hinge. I was gonna do a D.I.Y. with pics, but this job was such a p.i.a. that I probably would have thrown the camera across the shop.

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
Yes those 3 are what bolt it on the car. The extra screw you have circled I am not so sure about. When I did mine I had to take the weather strip that guides the glass off the door. I think the extra screw you are looking for is down there. If you can get the 3 bolts out, the only other thing holding it in will be the wire harness. That one screw might be in the mirror assembly, and not the housing itself, you may not need to remove it to get the mirror off the car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
P.I.A. is right.

So no way to get the mirror housing off without removing it completely from the door huh?

Somebody bashed/shattered my mirror and part #14 in the diagram above is loose and wedged outwards underneath Part #9. Despite many attempts there seems to be no way to snap it back into place without removing the whole mirror. (Sigh)

Of course VW wants 6 million dollars to do this for me.

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
Part #9 is the mirror glass. You might be able to get at part #14 by popping the mirror glass out. If the glass is already broke your one step ahead of the game. This is a tricky feat itself, but most times pops right off. You will need to get a plastic trim removal tool, or be very careful with a pry-bar. It snaps into place. I found a few D.I.Y's on Youtube, look at MK4 mirror glass replacement. In one you can see the guy break the mirror glass trying to get it out. Mine popped out with no problem and snapped back into the new assembly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Part #9 is the mirror glass. You might be able to get at part #14 by popping the mirror glass out. If the glass is already broke your one step ahead of the game. This is a tricky feat itself, but most times pops right off. You will need to get a plastic trim removal tool, or be very careful with a pry-bar. It snaps into place. I found a few D.I.Y's on Youtube, look at MK4 mirror glass replacement. In one you can see the guy break the mirror glass trying to get it out. Mine popped out with no problem and snapped back into the new assembly.
Couldn't find the video you referenced but do you mean like this?

‪Replacing the Mirror Glass on a Golf, Passat, Jetta and Golf Plus‬‏ - YouTube

If so... Whoa. That may save me a BUNCh of work/money.

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
Yup. I think this is gonna solve your problem. But let me say they don't pop out that easy. But you can see, with the glass out you can get at that trim piece. Here is the video I was talking about. ‪How to remove jetta side view Mirror 1.8T‬‏ - YouTube... And as far as savin a lot of coin, that's one of the perks of being on the Org........ Let me know how you make out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LOL that video is so poorly titled! Should be "How NOT to"
I'll give it a shot tomorrow. Too dark now.

Will post back.

Thx for your help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Woohoo! That video sure helped! I used a butter knife to pop off the mirror.

I can see how it'd be REAL easy to break the mirror during that stage. Luckily(?) mine was already shattered.

Once I got the mirror off I was able to wedge Part 14 back into place. That was the hardest part and took me a good 10 minutes to get it back into place properly.

Now all I need is a replacement mirror for the mirror backing which I can get off eBay for cheap.

Thanks for your help. Saved me a bunch of money I can't afford right now! :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts