NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I can't seem to find the fill spout in my wife's 2006 VW Beetle 6speed auto 5 cylinder.
I've looked at manuals and even had blauparts help me by sending me a PDF but even after removing the battery, battery tray, intake box, all that so I could see clearly at the starter, I can't find this fill spout. Am I going crazy? The new pan is up and all I need to do is fill the car with tranny fluid.
Here are the pics I took from the engine bay looking down with everything removed.

·
μολὼν λαβ
213 Posts
I answered your question in the other thread you posted in. You fill through the drain hole.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just an update, thanks a bunch to walnut for the info and help.

after filling the pan with 3 qts, I started the car and let it run until (using my thermo gun) the pan was at 40 degrees. I than turned the car off and took the drain plug off. A bunch of fluid came out.I was worried it was all coming out but it stopped. Of course the fluid was much darker than what I put it. I'm assuming it's from the torque converter. What I did notice was the car upon start up would make a crazy screeching noise, then after a few minutes the screeching goes away and the car idles quietly.

I let the wifey drive for a week and i checked the fluid again, once again i let the car run until 40 degrees, took the plug off and more fluid came out. Not as much fluid but some came out again. Car still makes a screeching noise at start up for about about 1-3 minutes.

I know the screeching is obviously not normal, so any ideas about that?

·
5/23/10 <3
11,173 Posts
Not sure if the 2.5 has a secondary air pump but I know those can make some screeching noises when they go bad.

·
&#956;&#959;&#955;&#8060;&#957; &#955;&#945;&#946;
213 Posts
EF619, I want to make sure that you're clear on something. If I understand your post correctly, I think you have a misconception about checking the fluid level in your tranny. YOU MUST CHECK THE LEVEL WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING. If I read correctly, you have brought the transmission temp to 40°, then shut the engine off, and let the fluid drain until it dripped. This is not right, and will result in a much lower amount of fluid than you should have, and will RUIN THE TRANSMISSION IN SHORT ORDER. When you shut the engine off, the level in the pan does rise considerably, because the fluid that is normally being pumped through the transmission is now drained entirely back into the pan. Check that your fluid is just dripping out the drain at around 40° WHILE THE ENGINE IS STILL RUNNING. This is important.....GET THAT TRANSMISSION FILLED BACK TO THE PROPER LEVEL.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
EF619, I want to make sure that you're clear on something. If I understand your post correctly, I think you have a misconception about checking the fluid level in your tranny. YOU MUST CHECK THE LEVEL WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING. If I read correctly, you have brought the transmission temp to 40°, then shut the engine off, and let the fluid drain until it dripped. This is not right, and will result in a much lower amount of fluid than you should have, and will RUIN THE TRANSMISSION IN SHORT ORDER. When you shut the engine off, the level in the pan does rise considerably, because the fluid that is normally being pumped through the transmission is now drained entirely back into the pan. Check that your fluid is just dripping out the drain at around 40° WHILE THE ENGINE IS STILL RUNNING. This is important.....GET THAT TRANSMISSION FILLED BACK TO THE PROPER LEVEL.
I meant thanks Walnut, i was just reviewing what I posted and it sounded sarcastic. Sorry about that. Thanks for the message/email, really.

·
213 Posts
EuroFever, I didn't take your post wrong in the least. I knew your thanks was sincere, I was just trying to ascertain whether or not you had filled your transmission properly. I'm STILL trying to ascertain whether you have enough fluid in the transmission. Have you measured the level, the dripping of fluid from the drain WHILE THE ENGINE IS RUNNING, or did you shut the engine down after the transmission reached the 40° temp, and then drain until it dripped with the engine off? I'm trying to emphasize the importance of the question. The weird noise for 2-3 minutes after startup might be the transmission prior to adequate pressure being built up, and if you continue to drive with a very low fluid level, you're going to run up one hell of a repair bill.

This is your comment that concerns me, "after filling the pan with 3 qts, I started the car and let it run until (using my thermo gun) the pan was at 40 degrees. I than turned the car off and took the drain plug off. A bunch of fluid came out." If this is in fact the way you filled your transmission, then you only have the transmission half full. Get it?

I'm tryin' to help you, man! I'm worried about your transmission.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Walnut-
I did turn it off and measured. After your post about NOT to do that I immediately went out to the car, jacked it up and leveled it. I turned the car on and let it go to 40 degrees and checked the fluid. Nothing dripped and I ended up adding another quart before it dripped back out. All while the car was running. i will keep an eye on it. The loud noise i was hearing was coming from a disconnected house right in front of the wheel. I saw it just hanging there and air was gushing out. I snapped it in and the noise went away.

But definitely i measured it incorrectly and thanks for catching on that quick. thanks again.

·
213 Posts
Okay....that's good. I'm glad you caught it. It's not like I was losing sleep over it :D but it would be a shame to waste a perfectly good piece of equipment over a procedural misunderstanding.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts