NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help me find a thread on how to change the steering angle sensor on a 2005 1.9 L. Tdi? I am going to change out the turn signal switch and I thought I might tackle the steering angle sensor while I'm in there. The light on the dash has been on for a long time. Stealership wanted over $600.00 to replace the sensor, and I decided to just live with the light on the dash untill now.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I'm at a loss! What dash light has been on for a long time? The CEL? What are the code(s) coming up?

MORAV

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's the ESP light. A yellow triangle with an exclamation point in the middle and an arrow circling it. It's been on for a long time now. I had the dealership scan it when I took it in for an oil change, and they told me that the steering angle sensor was bad and needed to be replaced. quoted me $660.00 for the job, and another $330.00 to replace the driver side seat belt sensor because the airbag system light is also on.I haven't had either repair done. I can't justify spending right at a grand to fix a latch that latches just fine, and a sensor that doesn't appear to make any difference in the cars handling or performance. I am going to replace the turn signal switch ( ticking sporadically and driving me crazy) and I just thought that I might as well fix the steering angle sensor if it's in the vicinity. Any help will be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
It's the ESP light. A yellow triangle with an exclamation point in the middle and an arrow circling it. It's been on for a long time now. I had the dealership scan it when I took it in for an oil change, and they told me that the steering angle sensor was bad and needed to be replaced. quoted me $660.00 for the job, and another $330.00 to replace the driver side seat belt sensor because the airbag system light is also on.I haven't had either repair done. I can't justify spending right at a grand to fix a latch that latches just fine, and a sensor that doesn't appear to make any difference in the cars handling or performance. I am going to replace the turn signal switch ( ticking sporadically and driving me crazy) and I just thought that I might as well fix the steering angle sensor if it's in the vicinity. Any help will be appreciated.
You do know that this light will stay illuminated if the system is switched off manually? I know, but I had to ask. This is not covered in the Bentley paper Service Manual, but I assume it is in the Bentley DVD-ROM Repair Manual. I don't have it loaded or I would look it up. Perhaps someome who does, or is familiar with this option will come along and help. As to the seat belt latch, this is a common problem, and from all I have read on the Org, a fairly inexpensive part and easy R&R. It may cause your airbag system to fail in the event of an impact, and thus not provide the protection you or a loved one deserves.

If you have part numbers, I can give you a list of 20 or so Online VW Dealer's Parts Depts and VW Online Resellers to shop from. Prices can vary from part to part and one to another by as much as double. I check prices of all needed parts from all sources available.

I don't have a vag com ( yet ). How much are they and where can I get one ?
Readers

“vChecker” Basic & Pro
Home Page > Search > Vagchecker > ES#9951 V-Checker Scanner - Basic - VAGCHECKERBASIC
Home Page > Search > V-Checker > ES#9950 V-Checker Scanner - Pro - VAGCHECKERPRO

Vag-Com the real enchilada from Ross-Tech
http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/interfaces.html

MORAV

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It looks like the turn signal switch is a common problem also. I've read that the switch can be taken apart and cleaned and this usually solves the prob, but I usually wind up breaking stuff like that during dissassembly. might as well put in a new one while I have it apart. Right ? :)

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
The ESP button does not work at all now. The light stays on no matter how many times the button is pushed.
So could it be a bad switch or switch wiring? This would be easy to check and cheaper and easier than a steering angle sensor I have to believe.

M.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
It looks like the turn signal switch is a common problem also. I've read that the switch can be taken apart and cleaned and this usually solves the prob, but I usually wind up breaking stuff like that during dissassembly. might as well put in a new one while I have it apart. Right ? :)
Thinking like that could lead you to replace the whole stalk, or worse, the whole steering column! :roflmao:

Do you have the p/n? Have you bought the part? Do you want to shop around for price?

M.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I called The dealership in Lubbock and they have one in stock ( turn signal switch ) for $68.00. It surprised me that they are cheaper than O'Reileys here in Big Spring and O'reiley's has to special order it.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I called The dealership in Lubbock and they have one in stock ( turn signal switch ) for $68.00. It surprised me that they are cheaper than O'Reileys here in Big Spring and O'reiley's has to special order it.
At $68 and a trip over to the Big L, I'd try cleaning the switch first (use cleaner designed for this purpose - O'R ought to have this w/o special order); what have you got to loose, while you've got it apart, you can always run and get the part? Ask the Dealer Parts Dept what you need to do to get jobber pricing. Typically 25% off retail or more, usually only as complicated as asking for it.

M.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks M. I'll give it a shot. I found a really good step by step on how to clean/replace the switch here on this site, with pics and all. I'll try it on my next day off. I'll check the ESP switch and wiring and then continue from there. If you find a a link with instructions on replacing the seatbelt latch, shoot me a link. again thanks for all your help. Abe

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I don't have the code. The dealersip just told me that it was a bad steering angle sensor.
Too bad, most codes have multiple potential causes and subsequently multiple resolves. If you get a chance, have O'R or Advanced pull the codes for you, and let's look at them. Typically many dealers will quote worst case scenario, so if it's not they become the good guy when it's less than they quoted, not deceitful really, just a marketing style, and beats the hell out of a phone call to the effect, "It wasn't what we thought and it's going to cost you another ..."!

M.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Thanks M. I'll give it a shot. I found a really good step by step on how to clean/replace the switch here on this site, with pics and all. I'll try it on my next day off. I'll check the ESP switch and wiring and then continue from there. If you find a a link with instructions on replacing the seatbelt latch, shoot me a link. again thanks for all your help. Abe
I know there is a DIY or How-to on it. I'll see if I can find it. Just use a cleaner designed for this purpose, I read recently on here of someone trying to clean electronics and simply melted them. Follow up with di-electric grease - should also be available at O'R. Regardless of what anyone says, never lube electronics or most anything automotive with WD-40, and being a fellow Texan, I know how hard it is not to do that.

M.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Will do M. I'll get the codes and get back to you. These electrical problems seem insignificant, but are really annoying. I'm going to try and fix them one at a time. Thanx, Abe

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I know there is a DIY or How-to on it. I'll see if I can find it. Just use a cleaner designed for this purpose, I read recently on here of someone trying to clean electronics and simply melted them. Follow up with di-electric grease - should also be available at O'R. Regardless of what anyone says, never lube electronics or most anything automotive with WD-40, and being a fellow Texan, I know how hard it is not to do that.

M.
Here's what I found with a quick search
http://newbeetle.org/forums/2-0-liter-gas/42846-airbag-light-seat-belt-swith-resistor-fix-wiring-diagram.html?highlight=seatbelt+latch
the ppl who generally point to a DIY have posted on this thread so I'm guessing there isn't one. Maybe over on the Vortex. Anyway, it's a good read, I'm getting that the switch is not replaceable, only the buckle assembly and that it's in the $150 range. Swapping the buckles should be a no-brainer. Let's see if we can get a p/n and you can go shopping. Late model used should be fine, I know of a couple part outs over on the Vortex. Did you say, do you know it's the driver's side. I'll inquire. Waiting on an answer on some parts I'm looking at.

Here's a place to find part numbers by diagram
Part Numbers by Diagram
VW Parts and Accessories

M.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts