NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
98 New beetle TDI 5 spd. 273K miles. I bought it last Fall with a badly leaking steering rack.There was red American PS fluid or trans fluid in the system,there was like 50 lbs of fluid/crud on subframe... I just finished replacing PS pump,flushing lines & resevoir(replaced high pressure line),new pentosin,junkyard rack I removed from a low mileage 2002 Beetle gas model.The replacement rack looked pristine and the fluid looked new and was green.
I did pretty much all new front brakes and suspension parts/bushings except struts while doing the job.With the car off,the wheels now turn smoothly and easily left and right with the front wheels off the ground,the steering wheels spins fine lock to lock if I turn the actual tires left or right.Using the steering wheel from the inside with car off there is a lot of resistance and it moves a little at a time like it is bleeding off pressure somewhere but I can eventually turn lock to lock.Once I start the car everything seems fine til I touch the wheel,then it VIOLENTLY jerks back and forth like the Devil himself has taken control of the car..(frothing fluid in resevoir) so I shut it down.I have heard of similar symptoms in some older cars of other makes when the lines were reversed on the rack fittings,but the fittings on rack are different and it is not possible to mix them up.The racks looked identical and when looking up part numbers they seem to interchange for all A4s.I am pretty much at wit's end now,can anyone tell me what to try next? Is the problem trapped air in the system and if so how do I bleed it?

:mad:

·
Registered
950 Posts
Sounds like you need to bleed the air out of the system.

If the engine is cold, the fluid should be at the Min line in the reservoir.

Put the car on jack stands, open the PS reservoir, start the car and crank the steering left fully, then right fully. Repeat several times and you should have the air out of the system.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The problem is,I can't turn the wheel at all when the car is running to bleed the system.As soon as the wheel is touched ,it violently shakes back and forth.So violent it could probably break my arm if it got caught.I can turn wheel slowly lock to lock when car is off and have done so at least a half dozen times but it hasn't helped.

·
Registered
950 Posts
The problem is,I can't turn the wheel at all when the car is running to bleed the system.As soon as the wheel is touched ,it violently shakes back and forth.So violent it could probably break my arm if it got caught.I can turn wheel slowly lock to lock when car is off and have done so at least a half dozen times but it hasn't helped.
Did you take the cap off of the reservoir first?

Also, you need to understand that when the car is off, you are not using power steering so there is no way you will bleed the lines.

Do all the following exactly:

1. With the car on a flat level surface check the power steering fluid.
a. Open the reservoir and clean the dip stick.
b. Fully tighten the dip stick and then open the reservoir.
The level with the car cold, having not been driven should read MIN. The level should only read MAX if the car has been driven.
c. If the level is below MIN fill to MIN, if the level is at MAX and the engine is cold, remove fluid.

2. Make sure the parking brake is on, and then put blocks on the back wheels front and back to prevent the car from moving.

3. Raise the front of the car onto jack stands, the front wheels must not be on the road surface for the remaining steps.

4. Remove the reservoir cap for the steering fluid.

5. Carefully enter the car.

6. Put the car in Neutral and start the engine.

7. Slowly turn the steering to the full stop to the Right, and then back to the full stop to the Left. Repeat three times.

8. Shut off the vehicle and exit the car.

9. Replace the reservoir cap.

10. Lower the car.

11. Take the car out for a low speed test drive in a quiet location.

12. If there are still issues with the steering, repeat steps 2-11.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts