VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace the forward o2 sensor on a 2004 VW beetle 2.0. I put it up on the hoist to find the sensor and found it on top of the exhaust manifold. How do you get this sensor off?????:confused: I don't see an easy way to get to it??? What size o2 sensor socket do I need?. This looks like a PITA to change.Hope someone can enlighten me on the best way to get this sensor replaced.

Bob

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
A little tough to see but this video should help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Clmu1Td0HkU

slightly different car but replacement is similar:

VWVortex.com - DIY - Replacing oxygen sensors

Lookup the correct Bosch 02 sensor here: (once you get the sensor; you can use it as a reference on which socket to get):

be sure to match the correct one with your engine code and get the "oe" not the "universal" version.

https://www.boschautoparts.com/en/auto

Testing and inspection info:

Volkswagen Workshop Manuals > New Beetle L4-2.0L (BEV) (2004) > Powertrain Management > Sensors and Switches - Powertrain Management > Sensors and Switches - Computers and Control Systems > Oxygen Sensor > Component Information > Testing and Inspecti

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
o2 sensors

Do they look anything like this picture? If so that is not the manifold I believe that is the CAT. Your local auto parts place have the specialty sockets for rental. It'll be a socket with a side missing to it. I rented the one from autozone and it came in a kit with 2-3 different size sockets. It can be done.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
sensor

Nope mine is located up by the firewall. Thanks for the info.
then you might have to remove the windshield cowl, Y rain guard, wipers. pretty easy to remove I can take mine off in 10 minutes. you'll be surprised how much more room to work is by the firewall after you remove those items.

·
Keep It Real
1,746 Posts
Should be easy to get to those sensors, try using a 22mm or 7/8" open end wrench, if it resists you then soak it with penetrating oil.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts