NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
'98 Beetle driver
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: Where do I start? I've found metalnerd's lift kits for 1" & 2". Anybody have any experience with these? Also, I assume that adding spacers would necessitate other modifications. Any advice on that?

·
Probably MIA
2,799 Posts
I have the 2in and couldn't be happier. Best mod I've ever done, with the exception of the manual swap and tuning/injectors.

No other mods required, but a suspension refresh would likely be needed on a 98.

Sent from my DROID2

·
'98 Beetle driver
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We Have Successful Lift-off!

:cool:Metalnerds 2" lift kit is installed with new suspension & steering parts. All is well.
With that done, what are my options for tire & wheel modifications that will enhance my my lift and highway ride.

·
Registered
950 Posts
You didn't mention it, why did you want to lift your car that much? You're in California, so I'm guessing it's not to get clearance over the snow like I would want in a higher ride.

·
'98 Beetle driver
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why the lift?

:runnethov We live on remote ranch & travel 2 miles on a dirt road before reaching the black top. At different times and weather conditions, the botoom connects with the crown of the ranch road. Since 1998, I have had to replace plastic skid shields 4 times! I am now in the process of getting a Panzer aluminum skid plate, about 1/3 the price of past plastic replacements. I love my Beetle and plan to keep it.

·
Registered
950 Posts
:runnethov We live on remote ranch & travel 2 miles on a dirt road before reaching the black top. At different times and weather conditions, the botoom connects with the crown of the ranch road. Since 1998, I have had to replace plastic skid shields 4 times! I am now in the process of getting a Panzer aluminum skid plate, about 1/3 the price of past plastic replacements. I love my Beetle and plan to keep it.
I've gone through two skid plates so far, similar reason, except here it's from poorly cleared side streets where the snow and ice compact into ruts you can barely get out of.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I put the jetta vr6 springs on back and front,10mm spacer on front and picked up 1 3/4".Some people have put the lift kit on + vr6 springs but I didn't want to go that far.Also put on slightly larger diameter tires will help some(mine are 205/65-15).It makes a world of differance in a daily driver to have some ground clearance.You will love that skid plate,takes a lot of worry out of driving the dirt roads.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts