NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put 18's on my beetle...and is in the shop getting the suspension installed...It will be droped 1.5 front and back...first and formost I want to thank everyone who has responded and given me feedback on all my questions. Second, I wanna know if anyone know of any steel oil pans for my 2.0L 2000.?...Im afraid of cracking the stock oil pan since its been done before it was even droped!!!!...(my girl cracked it)...Seriously!!...I wanna leave the skid plate option for last....what do you guys think?
Tahnk you guys!!!...happy new years!!

·
Performance Freak
137 Posts
I agree, I have one and it's protected me a couple times, plus the peace of mind knowing it's there is nice.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What skid paltes do you guys have?

Do you guys recomend the aluminum or steel skid plates?....also...I get my oil changes done at those oil change places...I live in NYC...no place to do it....altoguh I am an airplane mechanic..lol....what brand are you guys using?...also...any of you with a skid plate get your oil changes done at the quick lube places?...and If you do..does it prevent acces to filter or anything?

·
Registered
1 Posts
beetle oil pan skid plate

I also had a small hole in my oil pan......lucky for me the car was parked when all the oil drained out. It is costing around 500.00 (a little less) to have a steel po; pan put in place at the dealership. The dealer told me that the standard skid plates are plastic and only protect the oil pan from small rocks and stones. They said a steel oil pan is better than the aluminum pan and plastic skid plate.

If anything I would buy a steel skid plate and install a steel oil pan......

·
2,646 Posts
I wonder why this doesn't get brought up as an option here at all: my wife's 2.0L '01 Jetta has a steel pan "surround" that attaches to the block front and rear and has a pad in between it and the aluminum oil pan. This is factory. It does not have to come off to change the oil. I would say that it costs less than 1" of ground clearance. I have no idea what the cost would be since it is a factory part.

·
Y2K Speedle
1,089 Posts
HI. I have the same setup as you have on the same bug, only yellow :) With Eilbach Pro kit I am much lower than I wanted at first place, but I love it :) Been driving like that for few months now and have no scraping or hitting marks on pan. Lucky eh? Well, I do drive paying a lot more attention to speed bumps and debris on the road. I never climb the curbs and if I have to run over the pothole or something I do it sloly :) We'll see how that will work once the snow start falling.

edit...no 18-s though

·
Keep It Real
1,734 Posts
If you are that concerned about the oil pan being damaged then I would have to agree with noR and NJ Turb, whether steel or aluminum, "if" the pan hits something hard enough, neither one will survive.

The aluminum pan will crack or puncture and the steel pan will tear or puncture, either an aluminum or steel skid plate should remedy your concerns, however, when considering weight I'd go with aluminum.

Use a quality full synthetic of your choice and I would suggest that you not allow the fast oil change type shops change your oil, they have a nasty habit of over/under filling the crankcase, over tightening or leaving loose the drain plug etc., do it yourself or take it to the dealer.

As far as $500 to replace a Beetle oil pan, rip-off, a new oil pan from VW is in the low to mid $100 range and can be R&R'd in about an hour and 20 minutes with the car on jack stands, the dealer can do this job in less than an hour which equals out to maybe a $200 or so over charge.

·
Registered
104 Posts
oil pan

Hey there all, I just put a crack in my oil pan and lost all but 1 quart of oil and what i'm doing is to marine-tex the entire bottom of the pan for extra strength rather than buying another "tin can" oil pan.

·
strange things are afoot
1,535 Posts
Your car must have been parked on uneven pavement or something for that pic. Your Golf isn't even that low.

Anyway I have an aluminum skidplate and it takes hits like a champ. The added protection and the peace of mind is worth it.

That was the day the plate was installed...

driveway was very flat, no ruts. I took that photo myself. so I know how low my car is. you can believe whatever you want. but I know what I can go over and what I cannot. the top photo is proof that the plate is doing its job after one year of service.

I wouldn't want to be driving around without my plate.

best money I've spent on my car. except perhaps the whole dollar I had to spend to get RocketChip stage 3 at TDIFest 2008.

·
Registered
5 Posts
oil pan damage due to aircondition unit vibrations

I had the oil leak and noticed damged oilpan in 2000 Beetle TDI. Replaced it and put new aluminum one. It start leaking within a week. I put the car on jack and started it. What I noticed that my ac unit has a knuckleand it was banging on oilpan and it has punched a small hole. AS unit has about half an inch clearance still it was at times hitting the oilpan. Any advice? is it possible to move AC unit further forward. I will appreciate the help.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts