NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having some work done on my bug. I have
dents in my rocker panels and I need new ones.
Does anyone know where I can get replacement
panels. I tryed TVA but they are closed for the
month of Feb. and I need them before the end of
the month.

Thanks, RLM

·
Super Moderator
8,908 Posts
Hey girl!
Are you looking to repair the existing or get a body kit set to go over them?

I had to have one of mine repaired recently to the tune of $900 - but I also have custom paint on them.

Gotta get that car pretty before TNBRU!:cool:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I too have been researching running board/ rocker panel repair. This has a good subject name to get things going on the new forums. With that said, there is a thread on the old forums that speakes of rubber covers that can be fabricated to cover scratches and minor dents, avoiding the high cost of replacement. I was quoted $250.00 per rocker panel/running board/ side skirt for dent/scratch removal and repaint in the Columbia, SC area.
What I would love to find is something they do in the 4x4 world called "Rock Skis" they are heavier gauge steel panels bent to mirror the profile of the existing rocker panel. They withstand much more abuse and can be finished to your liking, i.e. paint, rhino lining, etc.
I do not have the facilities to replicate such a piece but would imagine for the qualified person a group buy would get lots of attention.
It seems that the rocker panel design and durability is a sore spot with lots of NB owners

·
I love my family!
2,887 Posts
What about diamondplate like the Jeep guys use? :D
That would certainly prevent damage, while giving your beetle some serious street cred! I'm entirely kidding of course. Why not just have the dents pulled, rockers painted?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Oyevey...yea, I could pull the dents and repaint, but I and everyone else is stuck with foil thickness rocker panels that will only be susceptible to more damage...do I want the LOOK of a 4x4? no! just something that is cost effective and durable vs. continued damage repair due to poor design.
There has to someone with a better solution?

·
Former Beetle Owner
532 Posts
treetopflyer said:
Oyevey...yea, I could pull the dents and repaint, but I and everyone else is stuck with foil thickness rocker panels that will only be susceptible to more damage...do I want the LOOK of a 4x4? no! just something that is cost effective and durable vs. continued damage repair due to poor design.
There has to someone with a better solution?
No need to get nasty.

·
Banned
2,553 Posts
treetopflyer said:
just something that is cost effective and durable vs. continued damage repair due to poor design.
poor design? hardly.

perhaps more along the lines of poor driving.
just like if you got rims and curbed them.

·
I love my family!
2,887 Posts
mentalVdub said:
poor design? hardly.

perhaps more along the lines of poor driving.
just like if you got rims and curbed them.
Ahem! I second that!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well here we go, let's jump on the band wagon and trash the new guy...I guess my exclamation point was taken as flaming, not true.
poor driving? Yes, we are all prone to error, and not all of us use our vehicles in the same manner. sometimes not all obstructions are immediately visible. I would also like to note there were those who mentioned that their NB's were damaged by improper lifting techniques at the dealer, did their driving influence that situation? If the dealer did not come forward, they too would be looking for a less expensive repair, while retaining a clean look.
I do think that some of you may have missed my point about alternate means of rocker panel repair. It would have been nice to read something insightful instead of "just pull the dents and repaint". Yes, that is the obvious option and there are a number of quotes reporting the cost for such a repair.
Poor design? maybe I didn't clarify? the lines of the rocker panel fit the vehicle well, it's just that the thickness of the material used is lighter than I would prefer, ( this is the trade off I pay for the excellent MPG I get in my TDI)
I just figured that in a group of NB enthusiasts with various back grounds and expertise, someone might have found a solution to the original post. I find sites like this to be full of creative thinkers not afraid to look outside the box for innovative solutions, alternate methods of doing things, and always helpful to those less informed without becoming critical.
so please re-read the prior posts, my intent is to locate a heavier gage appliqué that could be attached over the existing rocker panel, and if that became damaged it could be removed or repaired by shade tree type mechanics.
Thank you for your patients and I apologize to all whom I may have been offended, your suggestions and referrals are important to me.

·
Super Moderator
8,908 Posts
My lord I m so offended:p :ha:

Just kidding....let's lighten up this thread a bit.

We all know that there are side skirts for body kits and I believe that is probably the 2nd most used remedy for this problem, #1 being get the dents pulled/filled and repaint....or even have the entire rocker unwelded and a new one re-welded.

I think that it would be cool if there was a tougher alternative like Diesel Geeks Panzer to replace the pan under the engine...but the problem would be in the cost to replace and repaint a rocker would be really high. They have to cut the welds and reweld and most body shops aren't really up for that. Even in my situation where I demanded that there be no issues with the geometry of the rocker once finished they talked me into filling because it would be easier in the long run (they might have had to pull the door off to get to the rocker correctly to cut the welds)

If someone made a tougher rocker that fit over the existing rocker that was more aesthetic like the side skirts for body kits, that would be cool as well, but I've never seen anything like that - also, it would change the look of the stock rockers.

BTW - I didn't take offense to anyone saying that you should just be a better driver - watched a friend as we were out shooting our bugs with 10 other NB's cut right into a curb and flatten his and I dented mine on a huge landscape rock that I didn't realize was there. It happens. ...and as you can see from my paint job, I really like my car and am not really negligent with it.

:D

Attachments

·
Aus Liebe zum Automobil.
106 Posts
found this one in votex accessories catalogue... don´t know if it´s available in US also, but i think so...

Votex Sideskirts have nearly oem look and fit right over the old / destroyed ones... mostly used in german forums to cover destroyed side-skirts...

just ask your dealer for this part #

should be max. 300 $ for both

:cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
marvins dad & PieA...
Thanks for the posts and the PDF. That looks like what I'm after. I was at my local dealer yesterday trying to get more info on the VW Driver gear side skirts. The photo in the catalog doesn't really show a lot of detail. I asked the parts rep if he had ever sold a pair or seen them in person? No he had not, but he gave me the number of Driver gear...no luck there either, they said it's a dealer part and gave no other information except try the dealer. Dead end! called several dealers in the region, same story, they have no experience with the side skirts. HAS any one seen or installed the NB side skirts offered in the catalog, these appear to be fiberglass and come primer gray.
VW does make several black matt finished "poly plastic" pieces, i.e. door sill scuff plates, mud flaps, and a guard that attaches to the lower front edge of the rear fenders where the running board meets the fender. It would be perfect if they made such a piece for the running board itself.
I'll check out vortex again, but my last search drew a blank. Thanks to all for bearing with me!!

·
I love my family!
2,887 Posts
Try Votex instead of Vortex. They are big on body kits in europe. Also, Kamei has a line of paintable rocker panels/running boards, grills, valences etc. for the NB. We were all having a little fun, and realize how frustarting solutions for our cars can be at times...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts