NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
live in the North East and am gearing up for the winter. driving a 2003 1.8T GLS. need advice from seasoned NBers as to what snow tires are the best. also, has anyone tried snow chains? thanks for your help!

·
I AM SMILEY MAN!!!
310 Posts
I have Kumho Solus all season radials on my NB and they work great on the snow and ice (and rain and dry)... plus they are cheap, I think they were $50 a piece.

If you are looking for just plain season snow tires, I can't help you there. Most states don't allow snow chains unless there is extreme weather occuring (or are needed to get through unplowed mountain passes). However, a good portion of northern states allow studded (little metal spikes) snow tires from Nov. through Feb. (check local ordinaces).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks!

thanks for the info! i'll look into that brand.

i'm cyber green indeed, but that must be a NH cousin because i'm found zipping about upstate NY.

:)

·
Premium Member
4,319 Posts
Dunlop wintersport M3 is an amazing snow tire that not only conquuers the deepest snow but also handels extremly well in the dry.

Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50 is a tried and true winter warrior. It has slightly better ice traction than the M3 but at the cost of greatly reduced dry road handeling capability and tire life.

It is truly astonishing how much difference a dedicated snow tire makes in the winter time. They are specifically designed to not get all hard and greasy in cold temps. They perform better in the dry on ultra cold days, perform better in icy rain, perform better in slush, perform better in snow and make having an SUV completly unnecessary for most conditions. In fact I tend to be able to literly run circles around them in snow up to 17 inches deep :D

·
Write it like it's hot!
2,556 Posts
swee pea said:
thanks for the info! i'll look into that brand.

i'm cyber green indeed, but that must be a NH cousin because i'm found zipping about upstate NY.

:)
Oh drat---there's a cyber green with a swee pea vanity plate here I keep seeing.

Where in NY?

·
Registered
163 Posts
rcy said:
Quite happy with my Pirelli Winter Carving, but I really like the Nokian winter tires, specifically the Hakkapeliitta versions..

http://www.nokiantyres.com/wintertyres_en
your info says you're in burlington; where do you get those nokian tires around here? i'm shopping around... and who better to take into snow tire consideration than a company based out of where they get a lot of snow! :)

·
Registered
163 Posts
rcy said:
Quite happy with my Pirelli Winter Carving, but I really like the Nokian winter tires, specifically the Hakkapeliitta versions..

http://www.nokiantyres.com/wintertyres_en
nevermind i'm looking further on the website... and there's one right down my way in aurora.

i should read further before asking :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts