NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Big Brother of a Beetle
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sister got an '04 Beetle for her 16th birthday. I got her some daisy tail light covers (painted to match of course), and now her 17th birthday is coming up in about 3 weeks. I want to get her come clear corners, as well as some purple emblem overlays, but am pretty clueless as to where to start. I'm sorry if this is posted somewhere, but I looked and didn't see much info on overlays or how to install clear corners.

BTW, I'm pretty mechanically inclined, and have no reservations about workin on her car, but I want to get it all done while she's in class, so it can be a suprise for her, so I was kinda hopin that someone knew what tools and sizes I would need to put the clear corners in. Thanks in advance.

Here's a pic of her Beetle

·
Get in.Buckle Up.Hang on.
6,525 Posts
From another thread:

"Clear corners are super easy to install. All you need to do is take out your stock light by unscrewing the single screw that is there and then pop the light assembly out. Take the bulb out of the assembly and install the new lens in the opposite of removing it. Shouldn't be more than a 5-minute job. Clear corners look so much better than stock. You'll be happy."

·
Big Brother of a Beetle
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, found a full set on eBay for about 1/2 the price of the ones for my truck, lol. Will the 98-02s fit the '04s?

·
Big Brother of a Beetle
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright, clear corners ordered and paid for. But what about the emblem overlays? Any sponsors that sell those, or will they come from eBay too?

·
my turbo is bigger!!!!!!!
502 Posts
she's hott!!!... im talking about the car :D hehe mybe get her an atina those are tight lol

·
Older but not Wiser
1,015 Posts
damn it. i have a pair of clear front corners for sale for $40.

jd

·
Big Brother of a Beetle
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, purple, but not like a bright neon purple, something like a dark metallic, so it will kinda go with the metallic paint on the car.

·
6,525 Posts

·
Big Brother of a Beetle
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
3D? I know that the chrome VW sticks up from the black background, if that's what you mean. I already have a friend who makes all kinds of Ford decals at www.webxtremes.com but he does nothing for the Beetle yet, and since I kinda want this to be a suprise for my sister, I couldn't very well bug her with a bunch of questions about measurements and test fits and what not. (BTW, I'm away at college, so I don't have ready access to her car, I basically have to do it all at once and know that it's all going to fit/work correctly)

Thanks for those links and all the help.

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
You're gonna have a tough time finding an emblem overlay. I havne't seen any yet.

I've seen replacements to make it euro (blue/white/chrome outlines). I've seen some vinyl graphics that fit into the emblems before, but not lately. I've seen some inserts for 3d emblems that bring the surface up & even; those are hot, but I haven't seen those in forever either.

I don't have an '04 so my badge is a little different or I'd get some measurements for ya. Good luck; I'll bet she'll be happy.

·
Big Brother of a Beetle
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Alright, well thanks for the info yall. Any other "cheap" mods that I could do? For Christmas she told me she wants all the interior lights changed to purple, so that's another thing I'll be coming back here for info on, unless there's a list of bulb numbers somewhere.

·
6,525 Posts
Forget it, u can't change the lights to purple without spending $1000's, BUT you can paint the dash pieces, gauge surround etc etc purple, but at that point u might as well paint the whole car purple! :D

·
Big Brother of a Beetle
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Why can't I change the lights? Shouldn't the bulbs be a standard replacement, like a 30XX, 34XX, or 64XX which I could replace with LEDs?

Oh, and mom said I'm not allowed to paint anything in/on her car, since it's still new :eek: . I'd have no problem painting though, as most of my interior is color matched.

·
6,525 Posts
If only...it's all teeny tiny hard soldered and hard to get to LED's. Yeah, I've seen a member change one or two of 'em, and wer'e talkin' major work here, but all of them? NO way...have your sis look thru the sites I posted, she'll find lots of ideas there...btw, I changed my blue lights to white, but that's becuz I swapped in the Turbo S gauge pod and radio, so now it's all red and white...

·
Big Brother of a Beetle
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No, no, I don't mean the gauges. Just like the dome lights, glove box, trunk, and I don't know if there's courtesy lights on the doors or not, but just the easy ones.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts