NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently replaced the water pump on my 00 beetle 1.8t ever since I r
Changed it it's been three times that it's blown the lower radiator hose does any one have any idea what could cause this ? Or is it just a defective hose ? Please help ?????

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it possible the water pump wasn't installed correctly ? Because I'm able to drive it for 20 min and I do have hot air ? It seems like it would be touching something hot that makes it burn through but it's not

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
hose

I have seen cases where once your car overheats and blows a hose you need to first fix the problem why it overheated and also replace that particular hose even if it looks to be in good condition because it's damaged and it'll rapture very easy the next time around. or you could have a thermostat blockage problem or fans not coming on. You need to find a way to monitor your coolant temperature as it rises, not with the idiot light at the dashboard because by the time that dashboard light comes on it's already too late. I use my iphone and the app. dashcommand using the elm32 device. works pretty good.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The thing is the car never really over heats ? It just suddenly will blow the hose at random places so I guess I'm gonna have to look for some blockage ?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Have never tried it on a beetle but there is a test for checking for compression in the radiator called a bottle test. That's where you take the overflow hose, the hose coming from the reservoir that directs any over filled coolant out to the ground and you put the end of it into a clear plastic water bottle full of water. You allow the engine to get to operating temp and you watch for any air bubbles coming from the overflow hose in the water bottle. Not unusual to see a bubble here and there in the water bottle. But if they seem to get worse the longer it runs or if there is a steady steam of bubbles coming out then you have compression in the cooling system. On another note, I know when I was having random over heating issues with my 1.8 after a water pump change it was the orfice stopped up that is located in the small coolant return line that goes into the coolant reservoir just below the fill cap. The hole in the orfice is no bigger than the tip of an ink pen. That's the same hose that you check flow from if you suspect a water pump failure. It about drove me nuts trying to figure out the over heating problem before I stumbled upon it. It would over heat randomly and not all the time. Mine was being stopped up by small pieces of impeller from the failed water pump. I still occasionally have to clean it out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok I will have to check that out ! Thanks because now Ive been driving it for about 2 weeks now and just right now it blew another hose FML

·
Registered
70 Posts
That's perplexing to me that it keeps blowing bottom hoses. You would think the pressure cap would relieve before a hose burst but if it was building that kind of pressure it would obvious that it was compression in the cooling system. It would be running hot very quickly and it would be hard to keep coolant in it. Check your oil and make sure that it doesn't look milky just for safety. I guess it could be possible to have a blockage in your cooling system. The bottom hose is where the thermostat is located. The cooling system in a beetle is overly complicated to say the least. I have seen erosion to cause a hose to burst but never in a beetle. Had a new cat excavator once that would blow a heater core hose about every week. Turns out that not all the sand was removed from the engine block when it was cast and the sand floating around in the coolant was sand blasting the heater hose in one spot. We ended up replacing the engine because we could never get all the sand out. Crazy but true. There are tons of threads out there on beetle cooling system issues. I suggest you do some searching.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Man this thing is driving me crazy the wieredest part is that all this is happening right after I replaced my water pump !?

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
coolant

sounds like a case of blockage. like I told you before I think you need to find a way to monitor the coolant temperature as it rises. It sounds like you have blockage some where's. Do the electric fans turn on at all before the coolant hose blows? If those fans are running and the water pump is circulating there is no way the coolant hose should blow off unless your engine block is bad.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I would be pulling hoses off and taking an air blower or even a water hose and be putting air or water through the radiator to make sure it's not completely stopped up. The water hose is probably your best bet. Don't know why the engineers thought that that needed to complicate the cooling system so. I know the fan controller gets its temp input from the sensor screwed into the radiator itself. At least the high speed fan function does. I can see if there is a blockage in the radiator for it to be possible that the hot water,is never getting close enough to the temp sensors to actually make the fans turn on. Radiators do plug up on the inside. Especially if the proper coolant hasn't been used. And the coolant for vws in most places is special order. At least where I live. They don't carry it along side normal coolant. Never been a big believer in coolant flush. Most of it is designed for flash use. Run a couple hours and drain. Sometimes the crap in the system is all that is keeping it from leaking. You can order some long term flush that you leave in there for 30 days. It does work pretty well but again if your having to do that something is a miss in the cooling system

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
Have you checked the fitting for proper operation. maybe it is cracked or has some other defect that is making it not hold tightly to the flange. Stays on when cold but will not take the pressure when system is hot.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts