NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Jagerauto
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so its a 99, 2.0 automatic.

Her blower motor i'm guessing wont come on. no heat.. you can feel the heat when you at a higher speed, just barley but..

How hard is it to replace it? How can I make sure this is the problem, fuse is ok.

Also the fuel door switch stopped working. I'm guessing the actuator went bad?

I'm having a problem finding a piece for the passenger side window. It is this white gear that goes from the regulator to the crank. Manual windows. Lemmie see if I can find a pic.

took a picture of the driver side one, have no idea what happened to the one that was there, dealership had no idea what I was talking about..

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Regarding your window issue, since you don't have a part number, go to www.ECSTuning.com and see if they sell a repair kit.

Regarding your blower issue. Are you sure the blower isn't working?

Here are the potential sources for failure, and I would check them in this order (you'll need a multi-meter for some checks):
  • Fresh Air Series Blower Resistance w Fuse [N24] - turning switch to high, position 4, will bypass this component
  • Blower Fan fuse - check fuse Pos [S225] 25A
  • Fresh Air Blower [V2] - check for power at connector, check for continuity to ground
  • Fresh Air Blower Switch [E9] - check for power upstream of switch, check for power on downstream side, any or all of the four speeds
I have put up all the information you should need below.

To get to the blower, you'll have to remove the glove box, go to this link for that R&R

Bentley Misc Interior Trim R&Rs - Glove Box, Lower Switch Console (heated seats), Right Side Trim Panel, Glove Box Lock Cylinder, Door Post Strap, Inside Rear View Mirror, Instrument Panel Grab Handle, Roof Handle, Sun Visor
http://newbeetle.org/forums/attachments/questions-issues-concerns-problems-new-beetle/86885d1315352778-glovebox-lid-bentley-trim-interior-pgs-70-7-thru-70-10.pdf

If you need a fuse guide to know where the correct fuse is located, you can go to one of these .pdf links

Bentley Fuse & Relay Panels
Service Manual
http://newbeetle.org/forums/attachments/2-0-liter-gas/87567d1316930787-helping-friend-need-some-help-advice-fuses-panels-relays-panels-locations-bentley-service-manual.pdf
Repair Manual
http://newbeetle.org/forums/attachments/2-0-liter-gas/87566d1316930702-helping-friend-need-some-help-advice-fuses-panels-relays-panels-locations-bentley-repair-manual.pdf

MORAV

Attachments

·
Jagerauto
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no i bought a reapir kit for it, that was not fun by the way. Didnt come with it.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,921 Posts
So is the blower not working (no air coming out at all, no matter the temp) or does the air just not get hot?

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
So is the blower not working (no air coming out at all, no matter the temp) or does the air just not get hot?
$64,000 question! :D

·
Jagerauto
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it gets hot, no air flow. You can barley feel it at higher speeds(mph) No matter what the setting is(1,2,3,4) I never hear the blower motor cut on.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Just wanted to confirm that. It never seemed totally clear.

Now, unless someone has some better ideas, you're probably going to have to walk through the diagnostic steps I outlined in the post above. If we can help with how to do the actual testing with a multi-meter, just ask. If you have to buy a multi-meter, they are very inexpensive, you don't need a real good one, but do buy a digital multi-meter. Once you have determined the component that has failed, assuming it's not a wiring issue, we can help you source the part(s) you need. Seems heat would be the priority at this point.

M.

·
Jagerauto
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea she is naggin me about it.. lol

Glove box is coming off tomorrow, I'm going to take her to work so I can get into this thing while im off.

·
Jagerauto
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
real quick, my buddy is parting a 2002 jetta. Anything I can snag from that?
I was thinking seats, but only if the back is the same, maybe the fuel door actuator? Blower motor? I know the a/c compressor will, but I have no experience with vac/recharging the ac lines.. Might still grab it.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
The info I have is that the seats will interchange -
http: [URL="http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=3&campid=5336612374&toolid=10001&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Febaymotors%2F99-00-01-02-03-04-VW-JETTA-GOLF-GTI-BEETLE-FRONT-HEATED-MANUAL-SEATS-SEAT-BAG-%2F110767893079%3Fpt%3DMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories%26hash%3Ditem19ca47ea57"]//cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/99-00-01-02-03-04-VW-JETTA-GOLF-GTI-BEETLE-FRONT-HEATED-MANUAL-SEATS-SEAT-BAG-/110767893079?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19ca47ea57[/URL]

As to the other parts, :dunno:

You might grab any parts that you think might be issues in her bug. The fuel door actuator I don't believe is a serviable item on it's own, it is a part of an assembly, but it might interchange. I doubt the assembly will.

I'm curious, in three different threads your bouncing all over the place, is this the same Jetta, you have listed as FS/WTT in one of your other threads? WTF? Right now all three of your threads are in a on over the other on my thread board!

M.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,921 Posts
The thing about Jetta seats is that they won't have the ability to tilt forward for access to the backseat. You will only get that from other NB seats or from 2-door Golf seats.

·
Jagerauto
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
this is the technical part lol. my other post is wanting parts. Kinda getting technical help in both lol.

no the 02 my buddy is parting out is not what im selling.

I have been trying to sell my mk2 jetta, so i can buy a mk1. And figured trying to get at least the cash i need for the other car, but take a partial trade, maybe a parts beetle so I can stock up on parts for the GF.

·
Jagerauto
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alright! here it is. Good news. Of course after taking the whole dash apart, took the blower motor out, hard wired it to battery it was fine. Did a mental trace of the wires (I don't need diagrams I like the hands on approach)went across them with my test light. Took the pigtail out of the switch, jumped the hot to one of the switch positions and bam blower kicked right on. Switch is bad.. But I didn't stop there, no how could I. Took the controls completely apart to find this:

The silver piece was floating around in the housing. Obviously broken, but nothing some super glue cant fix until we get new controls.

It's out there drying right now.

I did remember something. When you turn the car off the air would still run, with no key, until you turned it off. then if you tried to cut it on it wouldn't until the key was turned. This is weird?

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Alright! here it is. Good news. Of course after taking the whole dash apart, took the blower motor out, hard wired it to battery it was fine. Did a mental trace of the wires (I don't need diagrams I like the hands on approach)went across them with my test light. Took the pigtail out of the switch, jumped the hot to one of the switch positions and bam blower kicked right on. Switch is bad..

I did remember something. When you turn the car off the air would still run, with no key, until you turned it off. then if you tried to cut it on it wouldn't until the key was turned. This is weird?
Lot of work you didn't need to do taking the blower motor out. All you had to do was check for power at the connection, either with your light or a multi-meter. You would not have found any. As you should have already checked the fuse, you would have known it wasn't that. As it didn't come on when you tried the switch in Pos 4, you had likewise eliminated the Fresh Air Series Blower Resistance w Fuse [N24]. Left you nothing but the switch or a wiring issue.

As to the not shutting off with the key, it sounds like you may also HAVE a wiring issue. I'd have to look at the wiring diagram to see why this might be happening. You might check the power feed for the blower switch and see if, in fact, on the upside of the switch, IT is switched through the ignition. I'd have to look at the wiring diagram to tell you which wire, but it sounds like you've also got that under control.

Good luck with your "projects"!

M.

·
Jagerauto
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm guessing that was a not so positive response..

I wanted to take it apart, I like to know how things look..

its not doing it now. key turned off it shuts off. have no idea..

Noticed that the radiator fan was wired to come on when the key is turned, ran off of one of the nuts on the box under the dash. I guess a relay?

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Not negative or positive, perhaps a little touch of satirical wit.

Nothing wrong with taking something apart to see how it works, I do the same thing, it's how I learn... Just tried to give you the sequence in which to diagnose the problem and how to do it and save you some time and effort. Horse, water, lead, you get it.

Just don't understand not using wiring diagrams.

As to the cooling fans, there are two, it sounds as if one, or both, have been jury rigged, probably to bypass something that had failed. Neither should not run fulltime, this will cause the engine to run too cool, with the potential for that to cause other problems. There are numerous threads around, including several on which I have posted up the proper diagnosis for cooling system problems, including the fans, the thermal switch and the fan control module. Also the proper drain and fill procedure for the system in the event that becomes necessary. As to a bolt under the dash, a relay? That would probably be the coolant fan control relay [53]. Or you can use the "keep replacing expensive parts until you fix the problem" method. A method used by some who post up on here.

M.

·
Everett Street in May
3,204 Posts
Can't wait to see what's next :popcorn:

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Jagerauto
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Can't wait to see what's next :popcorn:

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
I'm guessing you posted this about the same time the speedometer stopped working, it jumps when you give it gas, and the motor is under load.. And now the reverse lights aren't working. I fix one thing and bam more wrong with it wtf. lol

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey folks!
My girlfriend's 2000 beetle have some problems and she asked me to take a look at it. The interior fan not responding on any speed and audio is not working too. But 12V adaptor on the bottom is working...
First of all i was thinking of some fuse. I've checked them (especially 25 and 26) but all of them are ok.
My second thought was about relays. Today I've reached them, but haven't found any info which one do I need. The one relay map I've found tells me that none of them are about Fan and Audio...
Any ideas? Something tells me that problem is pretty simple and common

1 - 19 of 19 Posts