NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been needing to do my rear brakes for a while now, and since I am not mechanically inclined, I will not do them myself. So here are my options:

1. Go to the dealer. They quoted me $336.00 labour (@$83/hr) and 15% sales tax included. Naturally this includes original vw parts. Also I recieved coupons from VW which included one for 10% off a brake job.

2. Go to Canadian tire (if you are curious check their website: http://www.canadiantire.ca). I have not gone to see them, but their website says they have Monroe brakes including a set of four brake pads for $59.99 and rotors starting from $20.04 each. I think labour at this place runs $55/hr. On the plus side, they guarantee these brakes for life (if installed at their auto centre).

So the dilemma is...where should I get my brakes done. Should I trust Canadian tire (a "service all cars" place)? How different are our cars' rear brakes from any other? Or should I go to the dealer? Any advice would be appreciated.

·
20V GTRS
1,120 Posts
With the VWs it is best to stick with the stock brakes. I have seen a report where they tested some of hte cars with different brake systems and the stock worked the best. IMHO I would go with the dealership over a "service all" place.

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
Can you take your own parts to Canadian Tire? Buy OEM parts from the dealer, and have them installed elsewhere. VW at one time offered a brake kit that had new pads, rotors, and guide pins.
The brakes are not all that different. Just make sure they know to "wind" the rear piston back into the caliper.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts