NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, its time to change up my tires and I need a recommendation.

the car is a 2012 with 18 inch rims. My wife drives approx 80 miles per day, every day....so i need something thats a combination of reliable in all weather and will last.

I was thinking Continental DWS but thats also because thats as far as my knowledge of tires go haha.

side note - VW recommends 29psi, does anyone else think thats a little low? (generally speaking)

·
5/23/10 <3
11,125 Posts
I've had Continental Control Contact tires on my GTI for a year and a half now (Discount Tire doesn't sell the DWS anymore, but these were a replacement for them there). I've really liked them. I don't drive a ton, but living in the South, we do deal with rain a lot. And a little snow/ice. They do great in the rain. We had 12 days straight of rain a few weeks ago so there was a good bit of road flooding and lots of puddles. They did great - no hydroplaning. I didn't drive my car much in the snow/ice this past year but we had some single digit temp days and they still felt fine. Quiet ride and pretty comfy. I would recommend them (and the DWS as well since they are similar tires).

I have 18" wheels as well but I tend to run more like 32psi. I think my GTI (an '03) calls for 28?

·
'02 Snap Orange 1.8T/5spd
152 Posts
Discovered General tires about 5yrs ago when I put a set on my Suburban. Couldn't have been more pleased. Just put another set on it this Fall, and then a set of their Altimax on my VW Rabbit Pickup.

So, to answer your question: I just put a set of General Altimax RT's on my daughter's 2002 Color Concept. $98ea from TireRack, and have a 700 tread wear rating, which is huge. The car is very nice with them on.

I'm not a fan of Conti, Pirelli, or Yokohama due to the sidewall cracking I've seen, as they get older. It's ridiculous.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts