NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys as most of u know im about to embark on a valve body rebuild,got my bently manual on the way and im going to take out myself and have it rebuilt.....my next question while this is getting done,is first off in the write ups ive read it said nothing about what to do to the place where u take off the valve body,what it attaches to i mean? all the little worm holes and groves,do i just spray brake clean up there to clean or something else? or do i just leave that part alone? 2nd question... and is there any alternatives to vw trans fluid for the 98 beetle 2.0 auto trans DYQ code? or am i just stuck with that(was hoping theres a cheaper version that worx the same)i mean im sure vw is good but is that my only choice? let me know ur thoughts on this as well as im going to change that and filter while the valve body is getting done? thnx troy

·
Registered
14,086 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
trans questions

ok i`ll look into that but also wanted to ask u guys from dead empty how much to fill the DYQ code auto trans? and what filter any parts store or vw only also? thnx

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Not sure where to start here with this one??

Based upon the questions being asked, I have some concern about a DIY?

Do not know what trans you have or how you plan on going about getting another valve body or having yours rebuilt.

What happens is the spool valves wear the valve body bores and the bores are reamed over size with special tools and over size valves are installed. This is not something you can do in your driveway, you send you valve body you or you get a rebuilt exchange unit.

Suggest you read through this link - http://newbeetle.org/forums/transmission-talk/61467-6-speed-tiptronic-informaton.html

Mostly info on 6 speed Tiptronics, but the same basic idea applies to the 4 speed as well.

You will need about 6 qts/liters of fluid if you pull the pan and valve body.

You BETTER take pictures and label the wiring as this is where you can get into trouble very easily.

I would take a piece of cardboard and draw an outline of the trans pan on the cardboard and then stick the bolts and brakes in holes in the cardboard so you know EXACTLY where bolts and brackets go back in the trans.

Also before you put the pan on, turn the ignition on but do not start the engine, shift the trans though all the gears then back to park and make SURE there are no errors or wires that were not reconnected. This makes it very easy to sort things before the pan and fluid are put back in to the trans.

Also you likely only need to remove about 12 bolts for the valve body to come out, there are plenty more that hold the valve body together that do not need to be removed!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
trans questions

well im am a diyer lol and the trans is a dyq code so thats what trans i have? or r u saying there is more than one type of dyq trans? the valve body is being rebuilt by a trans shop that say they can do it and say the only other cost outside of their inital estimate is if one or more of the solenoids needs to be replaced? and i appreciate the cardboard idea as i get confused easily:confused:lol but my manual should be here next wk(won on ebay) bently hoping its as good as everyone saz,then i will try taking out,i appreciate all the linx and keep em coming as im reading all each day,and i`ll also go check out the vdub site to see their specials on fluids thnx guys and keep em coming.any other replies about cleaning the groved area where the valve body is bolted too? or so i just leave that be? thnx

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
trans questions

and jfoj help me out here went to look at the linx above to order the trans fluid kit includes filter and all for my trans but the kit only comes with 3 liters or quarts and they say thats sufficent for a fluid filter change? but u say 6? so should i just order more or what please let me know exactly what u think as that sh--- is expensive lol thnx troy

·
5/23/10 <3
11,172 Posts
Do you have a 4-speed auto or 6-speed tiptronic? That's really what we need to know.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Hard to read without formatting, assume the OP is using a phone or tablet, but you can still use proper formatting and punctuation.

Given the OP has a 1998 VW he likely has a 4 speed automatic?

It appears that the 4 speed kit via Blauparts only includes 3 quarts/liter of fluid. I would recommend add 1 more quart/liter to your purchase. Valve body hold fluid and will likely be fully drained and while the car sits you will have more fluid drain out.

All my comments are for a 6 speed Tiptronic which does use more fluid, have a larger valve body and trans pan. So it is an apples and oranges comparison.

Hopefully the shop you plan on using has performed more than a few dozen of these VW valve bodies. This is not a valve body repair that someone can one off and think they can overhaul.

Take pictures, label solenoid wiring, draw a diagram and use the cardboard as it will save you a lot of time getting things back together.

Overall this is pretty easy to do, I had more problems getting the solenoid connectors to release than pulling the valve body.

I used Pacific Coast Transmission in CA and just shipped my valve body to them. They also have exchange valve bodies as well. So they do a lot of these, not just a few here and there.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
trans questions

ok sorry it is a 4 speed automatic DYQ code trans,and i will add 1 more quart just to be safe,and after i wrote that last comment i realized then maybe more fluid would be in the valve body, but thats where u guys come in help help help lol i`ll be needing alot and ur doing great so far so just bare with me as u kno im new to bugs as well as all the rest:confused: jfoj as far as the shop they rebuild trannies for sure how much experience remains to be seen they claim they kno what they r doing but what shop doesnt just praying at this point,i`ll keep u updated went to the yard this morning and found my door handle rear fender light and cupholders im happy now thnx and see u soon. troy p.s sorry bout the punctuation:eek:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts