NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

We went to go get my two front tires changed the other day (both are bald and you can see the threads!!)and the guy asked if we had the "key" for the locking ug nuts. Since we just got this car a few months ago from a used car palce, we had no idea what he was talking about! It seems that there is 1 locking lug nut on each fron tire :mad: He couldnt remove them, he tried with a smaller socket wrench and such. So we tried a few other places, all the same thing..... no ne could remove it without the key :mad: The closest VW dealership is almost an hour away and we cannot drive that far on these tires nor can we afford to have my car towed there. One of the guys said my tires were a blow out waiting to happen. The back tires are just about new, so we figured that the "key" must be wherever the last owner got the back tires changed at. SOOOOOOOOOOOO frusterating!!!! Any suggestions on how to get those stupid things off!!?? :confused:

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Check in your spare tire jack kit (anywhere in that grey foam thing on top the spare). That's where I found the one for mine. Also the glove box, or any compartment, console, etc. Check in the spare tire well. As to driving to the Dealer, give them a call, most take credit/debit cards and will ship UPS Ground. You should have it tomorrow. Maybe another NB owner around town. And yes, if you can see the air through the tires, it's probably not a good idea to be driving on them, actually quite dangerous.

M.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for replying so fast!!:D
We checked all through the trunk where the spare tire is, found nothing, just the jack, guess we need to get a tire iron too.... The glove box was empty when we got it. My hubby is going to call the dealership today, so hopfeully we'll have it by next week!! And yeah,that car is staying put till we can get the tires changed.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Thanks for replying so fast!!:D
We checked all through the trunk where the spare tire is, found nothing, just the jack, guess we need to get a tire iron too.... The glove box was empty when we got it. My hubby is going to call the dealership today, so hopfeully we'll have it by next week!! And yeah,that car is staying put till we can get the tires changed.
Good! (with not driving on THOSE tires)

I don't know if the "key" is "one fits all" or if the Dealer will need your VIN. Have your husband prepared with it.

The lug wrench may be cheaper to replace with a "four way" metric. They even make a decent folding one. Or ECS has this interesting one in a case
Volkswagen New Beetle 2.0 > Wheels > Tools > ES#7002 4-Way Lug Wrench Kit - EZLW-03

Pretty much all the tire tools in the "Kit" are marginal and the jack is a joke. You also need to be familiar with the "jacking" points, it's very easy to do damage to the undercarriage if jacked in the wrong place.

M.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good! (with not driving on THOSE tires)

I don't know if the "key" is "one fits all" or if the Dealer will need your VIN. Have your husband prepared with it.

The lug wrench may be cheaper to replace with a "four way" metric. They even make a decent folding one. Or ECS has this interesting one in a case
Volkswagen New Beetle 2.0 > Wheels > Tools > ES#7002 4-Way Lug Wrench Kit - EZLW-03

Pretty much all the tire tools in the "Kit" are marginal and the jack is a joke. You also need to be familiar with the "jacking" points, it's very easy to do damage to the undercarriage if jacked in the wrong place.

M.
Thanks for the info on the tire tools! I think we are missing basiclly everything for it.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Thanks for the info on the tire tools! I think we are missing basiclly everything for it.
Oh, good, well, not... but, don't waste your money on a factory kit. Find a small scissor jack with a long removable folding handle (the car is low, the jack has to position a ways underneath and this is the biggest problem with the factory folding jack handle), a metric 4-way lug wrench, and if you have alloy wheels with the black caps on the lug nuts you need the little plastic tool to remove the caps. That p/n is 800 012 244 A. Or a screw driver if your wheels have the large center cap that covers the lugs or has hub caps on steelies.

Btw, post up how the Dealer/key thing works out and the process for obtaining a replacement, I'm sure others are in the same situation, or will be when they go to change a tire or buy new ones.

M.

·
big poster turned lurker.
9,487 Posts
there are 60 different keys... the dealer has a master set and they'll have to go through all of them to find yours.

you can try using a stripped nut removal tool to try to grab the outside of the nut..

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
there are 60 different keys... the dealer has a master set and they'll have to go through all of them to find yours.
VIN won't help, huh? Ouch!

·
big poster turned lurker.
9,487 Posts
VIN won't help, huh? Ouch!
It might.. but when I lost mine, I helped the dealer out a lot... i knew the exact number stamped on it, they were so surprised, and they knew me so well, they just gave me the key. Yup, i'm a geek that way. You can bet your ass I kept the new key in the little circle its supposed to stay in at all times.

It helped that i had key #53 :jumpy:

·
Registered
184 Posts
I've bought several used cars in my time. Several were missing the jack, lug wrench, or locking lug nut key. I have since learned to look for them when I am checking out a car. If they are missing I tell the owner (or dealer) to find one of what is missing or no deal. You would be surprised how the thought of losing a sale makes these things turn up quickly.

Lesson learned for EVERYONE!! Look for these items or risk needing them and not having them at the worst possible time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK...... so an update!!!

I just spoke with hubby & he had gone to walmart to get a socket wrench to give the mechanic guy so he could get those lug nuts off and it worked!!! He was getting ready to pay for the tires when I called him! YAY!!

He never did call the dealership because he wanted to see if we could get those off first without having to buy the key, since we wouldnt be putting the locking ones back on and it would be a waste of money.

I'm not sure which type they used, but when I find out I will y'all know!

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
Great news! It can be a huge pain buying a used car, missing essentials like a wheel lock.

Another thing to remember: When you get your tires rotated, balanced, new tires, or get the tires taken off for any reason, and you have to hand the key over to a mechanic, remember......GET IT BACK FROM THEM! :anon:

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
@Toad - Smart Man! Gonna make note of mine. Today!

@ psaboic - Think they will? Every one who reads this ought to check right now if they don't know, and deal with it. Might check the air in the spare also!

@ Red Bug 99 - Glad it's worked out. Sounds as if it could have gotten to be a real PITA! Get the things you need to change the tire in the future. One never knows. But why wouldn't you want the locks?

And dittto dnyed! Get the key back. All too many times it gets forgotten until needed and GONE.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Now I want to buy a spare and put it in my tool chest at home just in case.

Still have all my tire tools in the trunk, nice thing about being the only owner. Well except there's no one to blame except for yourself when something goes wrong. :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@Toad - Smart Man! Gonna make note of mine. Today!

@ psaboic - Think they will? Every one who reads this ought to check right now if they don't know, and deal with it. Might check the air in the spare also!

@ Red Bug 99 - Glad it's worked out. Sounds as if it could have gotten to be a real PITA! Get the things you need to change the tire in the future. One never knows. But why wouldn't you want the locks?

And dittto dnyed! Get the key back. All too many times it gets forgotten until needed and GONE.

Yes, it was a pain! But so glad it's done and over with!! We didn't want to get the locking o nes again because during all of this we have heard from many people the issues & problems with them. it's not really an issue with my car. I drive it to work & home. We live in the middle of nowhere & at work the parking lot has security and people constantly coming & going during their shifts. And.... if we did get the lockign ones, the big WHAT IF is there.... what if it gets lost, misplaced, lug nuts get stripped.... and if they want my rims that badly, i'm pretty sure that the "bad guys" already have the tools that they need to get them off! ;)

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Now to work on getting the tire tools for the spare....... :rolleyes:
Go to Discount Tire and get some of their Gorilla Lug Bolts.
They have them for OEM VW wheels (Ball seat) and aftermarket wheels (conical seat) They are all locking and I have them all around on my OEM and my Aftermarket wheels. This way if they want my wheels they will have to work a long while to get those things off. The lug bolts come in a kit with a large Lug bolt key that isn't as easy to loose than the small OEM key and also comes with a sticker with a registration number that goes into your glove box and they can overnight you a replacement key in case you ever loose the original.
They are only $1.75 a lug bolt and in my opinion well worth the added security.

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
Glad you got the problem solved. Had the same problem with my 2002 and had to go to the dealer to get the lugs removed. Wanted to buy a new lug nut key but that particular one was no linger availble. Had to purchase a new set with the lug nut key.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've been thinking about getting new standard bolts for all of my tires. Both of my VW's have the plastic caps covering the bolts that require the little tool to remove, and each tire has a lock. I figure those are two more things to worry about on the dark, cold, stormy night that I get a flat on the side of the road. I have OEM wheels, so the chance of getting them stolen is minimal.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts