NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Howdy
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help,

My top operation stops when lowering top. Seems to go all the way back, but the flaps will not drop. The top warning light stays on At this point will not go either way. Here's the kicker...if you let it sit a few minutes and then try again, the top will finish and flaps go down. You can then raise the top and close. What the F#@% is happening here?:confused:

·
Registered
944 Posts
you need to continue holding the switch up, you'll hear the top motor whine a couple of times and then click. If you're hearing all of this and the top still doesn't go down (like you described) take it to your dealer (under warranty) or find someone with a vag-com to see if the top is throwing any codes.

·
Registered
125 Posts
dont know if the US models are the same... but ours beeps when you can let go of the button. If you let go before it beeps it stops at whatever point it happens to be in the travel.
I have heard a few people i know with cabrios say they have had trouble with the flaps not going back down when the roof is operated. They took the car back to dealership to get it fixed but dont know what they fixed. hth

·
Howdy
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do not let up on the switch. It just seems to stop short. Then will not go up or down until it sits a few minutes.

·
I bleed Burnt Orange!
687 Posts
I sounds like there is something wrong with the motors which lower the top. I would take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Just an F.Y.I tip

I've had a situation where the flaps wouldn't return when the top was closed and latched. I took it to the dealer figuring it was a switch (they said it was and replaced a "microswitch"). This was a warranty fix so no big deal. A few weeks later the problem happened again. This time I started searching around on my own, even had a friend VAG-COM to no avail. A little more research and I found the culpret.

In the latch hole on the passenger's side is where the switch is located. I placed my pinky finger in and moved it tward the rear-view mirror and felt a metal switch pad. I lifted the pad a few times and voila... the flaps returned to normal. Seems the switch is prone to road grime :)

·
Howdy
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I figured out when the top quits. When going back stops but never makes the final grinding noise and flaps do not go down. Top at this point will not go up or down. When I manualy close(flaps go down) it it will move back and forward as long as I dont allow it to go all the way back....strange....going to the rocket scientists on Thurs...

·
Howdy
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Had it in yesterday for the top problem...same ole crap ordered micro switches...funny thing is this same dealer has had this car in for the samee problem 3 moths ago and replaced same switches.:rolleyes:

·
Howdy
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well.....It's not working again..dang top will go back stops and does not make the normal pump noise nor do the flaps go down..have to use the manual close procedure..stealer keeps telling me they replace some micro switch..but 3 times in as many months...any ideas?

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
We used to have the same issue on our '03 NBC

It's not your imagination. It happened to us quite a bit. Often, it would halt about a foot from being completely down. We always had to wait a few minutes, put the windows up and down several times. Start and stop the motor several times, then it would work.

We had switches (the one in the dash, too) and motors replaced on several occasions.

VW finally fixed it for us. We're very happy now.

·
Howdy
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ursabug said:
It's not your imagination. It happened to us quite a bit. Often, it would halt about a foot from being completely down. We always had to wait a few minutes, put the windows up and down several times. Start and stop the motor several times, then it would work.

We had switches (the one in the dash, too) and motors replaced on several occasions.

VW finally fixed it for us. We're very happy now.
That's what this one does..stops about a foot from going all the way down...flaps stay up...any idea what they did to repair it..they keep replacing the micro switch that tells when top is all the way down..

·
Howdy
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
:mad: The story continues...Took 'er back in and they replaced some top lower lock cover and switch (no idea)...good news...top works again...bad news they broke one of the headliner cable guides at the rear of the top mechanism...now headliner bunches up at the lowe rear...they didn't even bother to tell anyone they broke it..:mad:

Will update after next trip...daNG it all

·
Howdy
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't know how much more I can take of this friggin top!!:mad:
I havent even got it back to the shop to replace the cable guides the stealer broke on the last visit and get this the top does not work again. This makes abot 5 times in 4 months. Goes back and stops short...will not cinch down at end of travel and will not come back forward. Must manually close!!!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Yes I'm mad!!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I apologize for reviving this thread

I've had a situation where the flaps wouldn't return when the top was closed and latched. I took it to the dealer figuring it was a switch (they said it was and replaced a "microswitch"). This was a warranty fix so no big deal. A few weeks later the problem happened again. This time I started searching around on my own, even had a friend VAG-COM to no avail. A little more research and I found the culpret.

In the latch hole on the passenger's side is where the switch is located. I placed my pinky finger in and moved it tward the rear-view mirror and felt a metal switch pad. I lifted the pad a few times and voila... the flaps returned to normal. Seems the switch is prone to road grime :)

Hi sorry for reviving the thread I have similar problem with used New Beetle that I just bought. The flaps wont go down when I am opening the roof. And sometimes roof stay down and will not go up when I am pressing the button.

Since I am not really native speaker, and I am bit stupid for cars :( could you explain me where is that latch whole located? I would greatly appreciate it.

Sometimes I can close and open the roof no prob, but the flaps stay always up. Sometimes the whole mechanism fails. Though I can hear the motor sound after the roof is down. Roof seems to be closing fine, flaps go back down once the roof is being closed. The only problem is while opening it.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts