VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 beetle with a bad transmission. Originally wanted to keep her and fix it up. Now thinking it might be better to invest the money in a newer convertible. Any advice? Where would I go to sell the 99 for the best price?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Assume 4 speed automatic??

Likely valve body problem, but could be a bigger issue as well??

Not sure how much 99 Beetles are going for, might be worth it to sell as is and buy something newer.

Be careful as even the newer Beetles have auto trans issues.

I would consider a newer 2.5l Beetle, likely 2007 or newer??

·
Registered
950 Posts
Are you attached to the car in a way that allows for illogical choices in regards to repair?

If so, then fix it.

If not, then don't fix it.

Logically, a car that old is not worth keeping running if it has no meaning other than 4 wheels on the road and an engine to make it go. Not when faced with a repair that will cost thousands.

My 98 is slowly draining my will to live with its constant needs, I highly recommend you don't let your 99 do the same to you if you can.

I would never get another Beetle, or even any other VW, and I'd recommend you don't either. Double that for a VW convertible. That's just more expensive parts that can break and leave you with a bill you don't want.

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,639 Posts
The repair cost of an 01M Transmission is high; if you are going to spend the money, convert it over to a 5 speed manual.

All cars get old and repairs can get costly, for any of them ...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts