NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Lost My Ever Lovin Mind
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, so Phoebe my 99 cyber green bug died on me, apparently her trans and alternator both have bad parts, we be leave the controller module on the trans went out and i had her alternator checked and a part on it is bad to, the power supply module i be leave they said. i need help finding these parts cheap "good but cheep" so i can get her running again, I've already missed 2 days of work, i now have no car at all, i'll be appreciative of any help thanks everyone:cry:

·
Registered
553 Posts
Hello, so Phoebe my 99 cyber green bug died on me, apparently her trans and alternator both have bad parts, we be leave the controller module on the trans went out and i had her alternator checked and a part on it is bad to, the power supply module i be leave they said. i need help finding these parts cheap "good but cheep" so i can get her running again, I've already missed 2 days of work, i now have no car at all, i'll be appreciative of any help thanks everyone:cry:
have it towed to a good vw shop and pay to have it checked out. the ALternator and PCM powertrain control module shoul dnot fail at the same time. Tehy are totally independant items.

·
Lost My Ever Lovin Mind
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the trans has been braking for a wile, bucking sluggish to change gears" especially reverse to dive or drive to reverse", the previous owner had it looked at and the shop ticket says vehicle has multiple oil leaks and ses light is on further diag will be needed, the other part could have been bad for a wile or just went bad i don't know, i had it scanned at auto zone 2 3 weeks ago and they found 4 codes "they also broke my hook up for the scanner how can i replace it?" PO304,PO121, PO411, PO300

i don't have a vw shop close by, there 55 plus miles away

·
Registered
708 Posts
Well let's see....

P0121 Throttle Position Sensor
P0300 Multiple Cylinder Misfires
P0304 Misfire Cylinder 4
P0411 Secondary Air Injection Incorrect Flow

Does the car's motor turn over? Or the battery dead?

The misfires are most caused by a bad coil pack. Mine did the same thing. It's a common problem with the older cars. They are mounted on the engine block, between the engine and radiator. Most likely the hottest spot to mount it. What a genius idea.
The throttle position sensor tells the computer how far the throttle is opened. Most of the time it should at least start and idle if it's bad.
The sec. air inj incorrect flow is either the pump isn't pumping the correct flow, and sometimes it's a sign of the cat. convertor going bad.

As for the tranny, do a search on here for auto trannys. There is a post where all he did was a fluid and filter change and it helped with shifting problems.
We need more details about what the car is doing. Like battery dead, won't turn over, the starter just clicks, and so on.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
These are expensive electrical parts and you don't have any profesional diagnosis that confirms these are, in fact, bad. With a limited budget the last thing you want to do, is repair via trial by error.

You are having a real tough time conveying to us what the problem(s) are. You terminology is all confused. Your not relaying what you were told exactly, actually I don't believe close. There is no power control module on the alternator, you might mean voltage regulator, but neither would be diagnosed with the use of codes. Nor is there one closely related to an alternator problem. Autozone would check the alternator with different equipment.

That you used the term module in two different problems I really think you are mis-quoting some things, simply because you don't understand them. There are numerous Control Modules, engine and transmission, and they have to be diagnosed with special Vag-Com equipment.

We can tell you what the codes mean, I haven't looked them up, but once known, they will still require testing and further diagnosis. And this is all now complicated by the OBDII port being damaged by Autozone.

Sorry, but I think you better find a way to get it to a shop, you apparently have neglected taking care of things that you knew were bad or failing, and now it's all come to roost. And I'm betting that negect has been related to finances. If it is the alternator that has failed, replacement of that will probably get you back on the road, temporarily.

Do you know someone that has a basic knowledge of car mechanics? Some things can be worked on by a novice and some things require very specialized equipment and training. It's not as simple as buying and swapping out a couple parts. But someone with a basic knowledge could PROBABLY swap out the alternator.

Really sorry, I can't be of more help.

MORAV

·
Lost My Ever Lovin Mind
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok i'm not stupid like some of you are pointing to, i'm a 21 year old girl who this is her first car, i didn't neglect my car i just got the thing and had it scanned, i had planed to take it o the closest shop this week but then it broke down. a diffident auto zone guy tested the alternator and it was bad, after it tested bad i didn't even make it back home before the car wouldn't move, she stares she stays started no problems, just wont drive at all, i don't know what part it is on the alternator the guy at auto zone basically treated me like i was stupid and said "the part that tells the alternator where to send power" i actually assume he meant voltage regulator. but that isn't what he said

·
Registered
512 Posts
Well I suggest that if you are really tight on money, get rid of this car and buy a Japanese one like Honda or Toyota. German cars are known to have tons of problems and very expensive to fix. Keeping this car will definitely drain your wallet.

Back to your problem. Before doing any investigation on your transmission you have to make sure your engine works GOOD. Since you have the misfire code there is a high possibility that your engine not running good is causing the transmission's problems. You have to fix that first.

The autozone guy is probably cheating on you. I'm curious how do you judge that your alternator is bad? Did you do a complete test with a multimeter? First check your battery cable and connections, then do a charging system test.

A voltage regulator is not much cheaper than the alternator so if the VR is bad then it's better to replace with a reman alternator. It cost like $170-200 in like Autozone, Pepboys or Advanceautoparts and if you order on www.advanceautoparts.com you can find some coupons that can take $40-50 off from orders over $150 and you can select store pickup. This is probably the cheapest part you can get.

·
Registered
512 Posts
The only thing that can be taken off the alternator is the voltage regulator and brush assembly(the so-called voltage regulator). You have to open the rear cover of the alternator to get access to the VR.

ok i'm not stupid like some of you are pointing to, i'm a 21 year old girl who this is her first car, i didn't neglect my car i just got the thing and had it scanned, i had planed to take it o the closest shop this week but then it broke down. a diffident auto zone guy tested the alternator and it was bad, after it tested bad i didn't even make it back home before the car wouldn't move, she stares she stays started no problems, just wont drive at all, i don't know what part it is on the alternator the guy at auto zone basically treated me like i was stupid and said "the part that tells the alternator where to send power" i actually assume he meant voltage regulator. but that isn't what he said

·
Registered
553 Posts
Young lady I don't recall anyone saying or impying that you are stupid. We are just trying to help you. I am a 25yr auto tech and what i told you initially is the best option for you at this time. you can spend hundreds of dollars on this and still not be any closer to fixing it. The transmissions are known to fail about 100 to 120k miles. You can try to service teh trans with some success it will run about $200.00. If the autozone guy told you to put an alternator on it thats another $200.00. The battery is discharged now at teh least. Either charge it or replace it. $100.00 to replace. The coil packs are known issues as well about $250.00. should I go on?

Again the best info I can give you is to have it towed to a reputable shop and pay them $100.00 to check out all issues and give you a quote. Then we can help you reduce the cost of the repairs by either finding a mechanic in youre area or giving you adivse on DIY items and best part pricing thru prefered vendors.

·
Lost My Ever Lovin Mind
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I suggest that if you are really tight on money, get rid of this car and buy a Japanese one like Honda or Toyota. German cars are known to have tons of problems and very expensive to fix. Keeping this car will definitely drain your wallet.

Back to your problem. Before doing any investigation on your transmission you have to make sure your engine works GOOD. Since you have the misfire code there is a high possibility that your engine not running good is causing the transmission's problems. You have to fix that first.

The autozone guy is probably cheating on you. I'm curious how do you judge that your alternator is bad? Did you do a complete test with a multimeter? First check your battery cable and connections, then do a charging system test.

A voltage regulator is not much cheaper than the alternator so if the VR is bad then it's better to replace with a reman alternator. It cost like $170-200 in like Autozone, Pepboys or Advanceautoparts and if you order on Advance Auto Parts: Car, Engine, Batteries, Brakes, Replacement, Performance & Accessories you can find some coupons that can take $40-50 off from orders over $150 and you can select store pickup. This is probably the cheapest part you can get.
he took a meteor thing out there and tested a few parts on the car, the only bad part was the alternator, and a cable to the battery i am fixing the cable today

·
Registered
512 Posts
But actually you should fix the battery cable first. A bad battery cable might cause a symptom looks like the alternator is bad but actually it's not. Also you can ask the guy to bench test the alternator in their store to make sure it's dead.

he took a meteor thing out there and tested a few parts on the car, the only bad part was the alternator, and a cable to the battery i am fixing the cable today

·
Lost My Ever Lovin Mind
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Are you sure it is broke? Take a pic and post it.

How far away is Gainesboro from Nashville? I have VCDS (aka Vag-Com) and could scan it for you if you are not to far away; might be able to fix your scan port as well.
i'm 83 miles from the center of Nashville little over an hours dive

i tried to have the car scanned at advanced auto and they said that it was broken, i told them that i just had it scanned the other day and he said the guy at auto zone must have broken it when he shoved it on there tester

·
5/23/10 <3
10,922 Posts
Was it that they couldn't read codes from it? Or they couldn't even hook up to it? I echo D2's suggestion...take a picture of the port and post it.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
ok i'm not stupid like some of you are pointing to, i'm a 21 year old girl...
Now that I re-read your posts, I have figured out your communicating in text, not English, and using "auto complete" or what ever it is called to make matters worse. The complete lack of capitalization, very little punctuation, and every third word being either the wrong word or spelled wrong, only makes you APPEAR stupid. And makes it very difficult for us to understand what you are trying to convey. You're not communicating with your other juvenile friends, most of us with NB knowledge, are seasoned adults.

I'm outa' this thread. Good luck to you!

MORAV

·
Lost My Ever Lovin Mind
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Now that I re-read your posts, I have figured out your communicating in text, not English, and using "auto complete" or what ever it is called to make matters worse. The complete lack of capitalization, very little punctuation, and every third word being either the wrong word or spelled wrong, only makes you APPEAR stupid. And makes it very difficult for us to understand what you are trying to convey. You're not communicating with your other juvenile friends, most of us with NB knowledge, are seasoned adults.

I'm outa' this thread. Good luck to you!

MORAV
first off i didn't come on here for you to be an ass to me, i came on here for help like everyone says the members on here can do, if you didn't want to help or didn't have anything nice to say to me there's a nice back button at the top of your screen, use it instead of the post button

1 - 20 of 39 Posts