NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased this unit to play my iPhone 3GS through my 2006 New Beetle Mongoose (standard equipment) radio. Took it to Best Buy to let the professionals hook it up. Learned later from NEO Car Audio that you can not and will not see your iPhone playlist on your radio panel because the NEO Pro Link does not do text on the Mongoose! Darn! Gotta keep the unit because the sound is superb, but gotta work the iPhone through the iPhone! This sucks because the NEO compatibility chart clearly states that the unit works in the 2006 New Beetle without exception!:(

·
~Feel the Sting~
2,441 Posts
Purchased this unit to play my iPhone 3GS through my 2006 New Beetle Mongoose (standard equipment) radio. Took it to Best Buy to let the professionals hook it up. Learned later from NEO Car Audio that you can not and will not see your iPhone playlist on your radio panel because the NEO Pro Link does not do text on the Mongoose! Darn! Gotta keep the unit because the sound is superb, but gotta work the iPhone through the iPhone! This sucks because the NEO compatibility chart clearly states that the unit works in the 2006 New Beetle without exception!:(
Ouch. How much did you pay? I've seen them for like $200, and thought "man that seems like a ton of money to pay for something that just connects your ipod to a stock deck."

From everything I have read about them, they allow you to control the iPod, but they don't actually show the readout on the stereo face. So, I'm not sure about that whole thing. Stock decks usually give very little in the way of options. That's why I pulled mine out and got a deck with iPod controls built in, has a higher power amp than the factory setup, and it sounds about 200 percent better than the factory deck ever could.

Who was it initially that told you that the stock VW Deck would give you the readout of the iPod?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@Evenrude - What stereo replacement did you buy? I would love to sell the Mongoose and the Neo Pro Link!

·
~Feel the Sting~
2,441 Posts
@Evenrude - What stereo replacement did you buy? I would love to sell the Mongoose and the Neo Pro Link!
I think by Mongoose you mean Monsoon? (at least that's what mine had in it, I've not heard of a Mongoose system) :eek:

What I picked up, is a Pioneer DEH-P690UB. The unit comes with a usb cable that plugs into the back of the deck, then runs into the glove box (or anywhere else you want it) AND it comes with the iPod control cable. It also has an aux input on the back for a 3.5mm stereo cable, as well as 3 sets of RCA outs, (front / rear / subwoofer).

It will read thumb-drives full of mp3's or other audio formats, portable usb-powered hard drives, or mp3 cd's or standard audio discs.

Full digital readout on the screen.

Built in crossovers, sub controls, bass controls, equalizers, you name it and it's got it. I've been using mine for going on 3 years without a single problem. And , it sounds GREAT. It's built in amplifier sounds *way* better than factory power that is in the Monsoon systems.

Here is a video file I made of my stereo the other day. The ONLY modification to my car's audio system is the Pioneer deck, and a single Pioneer amplifier that runs a 10" Rockford Fosgate P2 subwoofer in the back. The video is about 20 megabytes, so it will take a few minutes to load!

http://pumpkintechnologies.com/bug/audio.mov

One of the nice things is, the stereo works really well in the Beetle face-plate kit too, because in SOME stereos, in order to get to the CD slot, the faceplate falls forwards. But because the dash is curved, that does not work well with all of the stereos out there.

In the case of this Pioneer, when you hit the "eject" button, the bottom of the faceplate slides forward and the top slides down...

Before I got my Pioneer, I had an Alpine stereo ( faceplate went the wrong way to work) and a Blaupunkt unit (2 in a row were defective right from the manufacturer) so I went for Pioneer and it has been the best unit I ever owned.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hahaha! Yes! I did mean Monsoon. I think Mongoose came from how I felt at the moment! LOL! Thanks for the details on the Pioneer DEH-P690UB. Looks very nice indeed! Another concern I have about the Neo Pro Link is that is causes my iPhone screen to freak out after about an hour of play. Add to this that you must have the iPhone in Airplane mode (no imcoming calls) while using the Neo Pro so I ordered a iPod Nano just for car music! This really sucks! If anyone goes this route they need be aware that the Neo Pro Link only works with a few iPod Nano models! I had to hunt for a 4th generation (got on eBay) because the 5th generation is the one in stores now but the Neo Pro Link does not work with thr 5th generation! As you can tell, I hate Neo Pro Link and, at least for the New Beetle, have declared it a waste of money!

·
ToD Maiden Voyager
4,916 Posts
To be honest,this thread belongs in the Audio section. Nothing for sale or wanted in this thread.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts