NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I just purchased my dad's 2003 VW beetle TDI. He mentioned that there had been some intermittent turbo issues. I took it to a local shop and had them pull the codes, and received the following two codes

P1556 - Charge Pressure negative deviation.
p3130 - EGR system regulation limit exceeded

As this is my first TDi, would someone possibly point me in the right direction as to where to start diagnosing the problem.

Thanks again.
Matt

·
5/23/10 <3
11,172 Posts
I'd check all the hoses for the turbo first, but then I would look into a faulty N75 valve for your first code:
17964/P1556/005462 - Ross-Tech Wiki

You could have a problem with your actual EGR valve, but first I'd take things apart and see if its clogged up. The EGR system can get really clogged with nasty carbon crud. TDIClub has a lot of info on that.
19586/P3130/012592 - Ross-Tech Wiki

How many miles and what trans is in the car?

·
5/23/10 <3
11,172 Posts
Do you know when the timing belt was done last? If not, I'd get it done ASAP!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, the belt has been replaced within the last year. Fuel filter has also recently been replaced. I have a feeling that the intake manifold may have a lot of build up. So that will be my first project next week. Thanks for all the info and help.

·
Master Technician
11 Posts
I would take a look at the vacuum actuator and the MAF sensor as well. The vacuum actuator should open at 2.5" of vacuum and be at the stops at 17". If this isn't correct or it doesn't move at all you may have either an actuator problem or stuck vanes or both. If vanes are stuck, you need to remove the exhaust downpipe and actuator. Spray a cleaner such as carb clean (I use BG throttle body cleaner) into the turbo while manually moving the lever until it frees up. Do not use a pair of pliers, you can break it. Do NOT use Ez-off oven cleaner. It will make things worse. After you free it up, make sure the actuator is working properly. If not, install a new one from Boraparts.com or IDparts.com. Adjust to the proper spec I listed above. Don't forget to check and replace any vacuum lines which are questionable.
The MAF may be giving you the egr code. I have seen it before. Do check the buildup and if clogged, remove the intake and clean.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts