NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14,086 Posts
Welcome to the world of new beetles and the the 1.8T; (the turbo is behind the engine). :) The spoiler goes up and down; depending on the speed you are driving. If you have weird noises; you might video them with your phone and post them on youtube, give us the link and we will try to help figure it out.

Blinker issue; common fail point on these is the turn signal lever assembly wears out and has a connection issue inside the column. This is a intermittent issue and can cause the blinkers to not work sometimes. Some people have taken them apart to clean them or seeing how old our cars are; just replace the whole assembly with a new one.
Sounds like you are a hands on kinda guy; I would buy a inexpensive VW scanner for scanning/clearing trouble codes, maxscan VAG405 (about $40 on amazon) or step up to VCDS if you are serious about maintain the car long term ($250, needs a windows based pc to run). www.rosstech.com

Here are original EPA estimates for the 2002 new beetle when it was new; you mileage may vary, depending on what condition and tune your engine currently is at.

Fuel Economy of 2002 Volkswagen New Beetle

Post up some pics of the beetle and keep the questions coming; we will try help! :)

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
If the car it a turbo, it will be pretty obvious. There is an intercooler on the front as I recall.

As for mileage, no way will you get 35 MPG, depending on the transmission you will be luckly to get 20-23 in town, likely 28 on the highway?? This assumes everything is working properly.

This site gives reasonably accurate info - Fuel Economy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And do these cars not have thermostats? How can i tell is im running hot? I dont think i am.. Im just wondering. And also airbag light is on. What do i do about that?

·
Registered
14,086 Posts
You have a wing; so, its definitely a turbo. You need to scan the car; a generic obd II scanner will give you temps but a VW compatible scanner will give you VW specific codes that really help diagnose things (like your current airbag problem). A common fail point on the airbag system; is the belt buckles and wiring under the seats. A VW scanner will give you specific codes that will help you figure out what is wrong; help you with proceeding with the repair and clear the codes, light when you successfully repair the problem. Thermostat is behind the coolant pipe *flange" coming off the block, next to the alternator. If you are overheating; the speedo cluster will show a overheating red light/icon, you will know what it happens (same light that is blue when you first start up the car when it is cold, then goes out when it warms up)! :)

·
5/23/10 <3
11,172 Posts
If the car it a turbo, it will be pretty obvious. There is an intercooler on the front as I recall.

As for mileage, no way will you get 35 MPG, depending on the transmission you will be luckly to get 20-23 in town, likely 28 on the highway?? This assumes everything is working properly.

This site gives reasonably accurate info - Fuel Economy
I get 23-24 city in my GTI. 30-32 highway. 35 is a bit optimistic, but you can easily hit 30 if you set the cruise at 70.

Yes, the car has a thermostat. But there isn't a temp gauge. There is a dummy light that will come on though. Comes on red blinking for low coolant. Solid red for overheating. It also should come on blue when the engine is cold.

If you aren't sure of the maintenance history, I would change the oil and get the right stuff in there. Would be a synthetic. I run Castrol Edge 5w40. Also change the air filters, fuel filter, and maybe even spark plugs. All of that will also help you get the most MPG out of the car.

You should also pick up a copy of the Bentley Service Manual. It is the best service manual for VWs.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
14,086 Posts
The speedo has very few gauges; as you can see, most everything are "idiot lights" that exhibit/show different characteristics based upon what is happening (blink, full on, different colors etc.). Many people add on aftermarket gauges because of this; in pod on the left pillar or in the middle of the dash. You user manual; is a good place to figure out what all the idiot lights represent and what they do, based upon different problems or conditions.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea we had a blue coolant light come on this morning but i was parked kinda on a hill all night and after we moved out of the driveway and drove down the street it went off. For the most part i like this bug. Its alot bigger on the inside than what it looks like on the outside. And she loves it so i guess thats all that matters. I dont wanna take it to the stealership to get the blinkers fixed.. But i will deffinately be investing in a scanner.

·
Registered
14,086 Posts

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
The New Beetles do not get great fuel economy.

The best EPA rating for the 2002 is 28 MPG, my 2003 Convertible is rated at 26 MPG. I doubt you could ever get 30 MPG in anything other than a Diesel bug?

These cars have thermostats, they all fail soft, likely you need to replace yours. These cars have NO gauges other than speedo, tach and fuel gauge. They wanted to go retro like the original bug, they did not even have a tach! You need a scan tool that can display real time data in order to see the engine temp. Engine should run 205-210F. The upper side before the fans kick on usually in traffic.

The blue temp light comes on at cold start, this is normal. Expect the blue light to stay on for approximately the first mile of driving depending on the outside temperature.

Suggest you read the links below in my signature.

As for the turn signals, not sure I would take it to the dealer unless you have deep pockets, find a really good indy.

But first suggest you check the bulbs, bulb sockets and wiring. Might be the turn signal switch.

As for the wipers, check to see if you have the round rain sensor above the rear view mirror. If you the rain sensor, in intermittent mode the wipers follow the rain sensor for the most part. On the other 2 speeds, the wipers should hold their speed.

If you did not get an owners manual, search around and find one online and read up. Not sure if VW has online owners manuals?? Otherwise ebay and purchase one.

Also pop the top cover off the battery and check the fuse box on top of the battery. Many of these fuse boxed melt down due to loose terminals.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,172 Posts
The New Beetles do not get great fuel economy.

The best EPA rating for the 2002 is 28 MPG, my 2003 Convertible is rated at 26 MPG. I doubt you could ever get 30 MPG in anything other than a Diesel bug?
Not true at all. EPA ratings are usually on the low side. I got 30+ mpg in my 2.0 bug if I kept my speed at 65-70. I got 22-23 around town. It did pretty well.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
14,786 Posts
One thing I can tell you, is that your beautiful New Beetle is Platinum Gray Metallic. My first NB was that color. It was a new color for 2002. Now you learned something new! :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all your help. Can somebody post a picture of what the engine is supposed to look like? My doesnt have a cover amd i feel like the fuse box is out of place...
Another question : What do you do about the awful cheap interior. I have to get the headliner fixed but i refuse to pay a rediculous amount. Also the door panals need replaceing and the door handle are broke. There also are scratches all over the plastic dashboard. Any options? Thanks for helping me out

·
Registered
14,086 Posts
There is a fix for the door handle issue; a company made a repair kit, which works well and is affordable.

Beetle Brace by Diesel Geek;
a number of members have purchased the kit and installed it with good results.

New Beetle Broken Door Handle Fixes

Scratched up dash; some people paint their dash parts custom colors; I wouldn't worry about it, I have a dashmat and it just covers up a multitude of sins! :) Also, cuts down on the suns glare.

Look at the dashmats or if you don't like that the "bug dash" which cover it with a plastic overlay panel.

https://www.google.com/search?q=200...e.0.57j0j62l2.5172j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Search here for headliner repair info; if your looking for parts post in the classifieds, look on vwvortex or ebay. Parts shouldn't be a major issue; more, more of these cars are being parted as people blow the engines! LOL! :) Most (aside from wrecks); being bent valves from timing belt failures and failed automatic transaxles. Post up some interior pics and keep the questions coming; you might be surprised what a deep cleaning of the interior will do. Many have removed their interiors for a thorough cleaning and after drying out; ended up with great results. Never underestimate, what a good cleaning can do; to these dirty 10+ year old cars, most people trash their interiors.. don't keep them clean.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts