NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Proud New Beetle Owner
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings Everyone,

I bought my 2003 New Beetle GLS almost a month ago from a credit union in northern Illinois (through a family member.) Having owned a Dodge Grand Caravan for over 8 years, I felt that I'd try something different. My first VW and also my first imported car. Here is the skinny on the car:

Color - Ravenna Blue
Engine - 1.8L 20V Turbo 4 cylinder engine
Milage - 93,000
Interior - black. Has leather seats (black and blue) which has warmers in them. Also has sunroof.
Audio - Monsoon audio system with 6 disc CD changer
Wheels - 17 inch using 225/45ZR 17 Dunlops

Now the issues with the car:

Needs power window motor for driver's side window as well as new window regulator parts. Have not undone the interior panel to see what else I may need. Currently has two dowel rods holding up the glass, which is aftermarket since the original was busted prior to me owning the car (could've been broken in which would explain the damaged and missing parts.) Plan to get the door fixed before winter sets in.

Retractable spoiler does not work (light for it is on all the time) - need any and all help on this one. This is the one part of the car that is "bugging" me.

VW emblems are faded, especially the one in the front. Planning to replace them soon.

Rear left fender has some ugly gouges - plan to replace it when time, money, and someone who knows what they're doing allows it. Someone suggested putting bondo on it - personally, I don't like that idea at all. I am sure that a replacement already painted can be found for reasonable money.

Rear cup holder is missing and the cigarette lighter/plug-in won't close.

And there you have it - my New Beetle. Hope to have fun with it.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Hi, and

Welcome to the Org!

http://newbeetle.org/forums/new-member-forum/51021-newbie-welcome-kit.html

You can run your VIN here for any open recalls on the vehicle -
http://owners.vw.com/vww/vw_service/recalls.html

You have what is commonly referred to as a "Color Concept", if you have the original 17" wheels, they are Take 5s, with inserts that match the body color.

The rear automatic spoiler requires lubrication (rarely done), there is a good, recent thread about this I'll see if I can find and post up for you. If the spoiler light is on, it's because it is switched on manually; that is what the light is for. Different years had the tops operating at different speeds. This is covered in your Owner's Manual. I don't think I currently have an '03 OM for sale, but I have it in .pdf from an '02 Manual that I sold and it is the same for '03. I can post up the page(s) for the spoiler.
http://newbeetle.org/forums/parts-accessories/48896-fs-owners-manuals-40-shipped.html

Stay tuned...

Try this to read more on the spoiler, as posted on the Org. A couple of good info threads here.
http://newbeetle.org/forums/search.php?searchid=2810463

Edit: .pdf below

MORAV

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
You have a Blue Lagoon Color Concept New Beetle! :party:
The two tone sport seats give that away... :D

The spoiler should go up at 48mph. There is a switch under the dash (under the steering wheel) that works with the key on. Try that.

The window regulator is shot. A common problem. A relatively easy fix.

If you can, take good care of this BLCC, and bring her glory back.

Congrats to you, and Welcome to the Org! :wave2:

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
This is IMPORTANT!

In just a minute, someone will come on here and warn you about having the timing belt and water pump replaced. Unfortunately alot of previous owners sell their cars (instead of doing it) because of this expensive maintenance item. I have heard of Dealers charging as much as $1200-$1500 for this service. There are other items that get replaced at the same time. A decent price from an independent shop is in the $700 range.

If you can not verify this has been done it needs to be addressed immediately. The down side to this is when it goes, you are looking at a major engine overhaul, that will run you into the thousands. There is NO WARNING, and it's not a "don't fix it, if it ain't broke" thing. Promise.

Getting a service history will be difficult, but if you have the OM, see if it lists the delivering Dealer and check with them for service records. Many ppl have the work done where they bought the car. Or check with any Dealer and see if they will tell you what Dealer delivered the vehicle new. Then check with them and see if you are lucky enogh to be able to find out any service history. They will never tell you who the owner was, won't give you any type of print out, but may tell you what has been done. You can always call all the Dealers in the area, if you can't find the delivering Dealer. A response, however, will be hit and miss.

MORAV

1 - 4 of 4 Posts