NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Audiophile
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
www.alpine-usa.com

personally i thought last years offerings where crap, im glad to see they got rid of glide touch on all but one of the units.

im looking at http://www.alpine-usa.com/en/products/product.php?model=DVA-9861
to use with a H701 sound processor. happy to see that i can control it without the use of a RUX and im looking forward to dvd audio

take a look at the new stuff, what do you guys think? they look sexy too me (all of them)

·
big poster turned lurker.
9,487 Posts
those do look pretty cool, methinks that alpine needs to start goin for a differnt look. but that's just me. I've heard really awful stuff about last years radios for thier quality issues. i hope theyre resolved. (not that i'd buy one anyway, i've already got the head unit i'll put in every car i own for hte rest of my life)

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Yeah, those glide strips were terrible. I had a CDA-9855 last year for about 2 days, and the glide strip was so awful I took it back. I likey this year's models much better.

·
Audiophile
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nice HU by the way

anyway im deciding against the 9861 because from what i hear the H701 is a pain in the *** to adjust from its simple screen (its not the ultra cool biolight screen) so im thinking about getting a IVA-310 (flip out dvd player that can control the H701 with ease) once again. i decided i didn't want to watch movies in my car and figured it would make a good gift for my stepdad since he helped me get a loan with a great intrest rate... anyway looks like i'll be buying another haha. gonna start looking for a used one. wish me luck

·
20V GTRS
1,120 Posts
I have the Clarion VRX925VD and I love it. I can pop in almost any CD or DVD into it and it plays it, also Sirius, MP3, and still have room for Clarion Navagation later or some other goodies like a PS2 or something. The 7" touchscreen is also nice. It is my 5th Clarion headunit to own only because I randomly upgrade and get the flagship model about everyother year or so.

·
Too Many Dubs....
160 Posts
I was a Kenwood guy for a long long time...Since back when you could still get them with two knobs :) About 4 years ago, after my prized Kenwood Excelon deck was stolen(man, I loved that deck), I made the switch to Alpine. Nowhere near the frills and buttons as some of them, but did the job and did it very well. The following year I ended up putting that deck into another car and upgrading to one of Alpine's best, again, couldnt be happier.
Im not sure why, but wouldnt be surprised if it was some sort of electrical glitch on my part but my first deck quit working. When I got the 92 Golf put all back together in June, I went to Sound Advice/Tweeter to pick up a new Alpine. Reason I wanted an Alpine is because these days most of the Clarion line has sucked since the mid 90s, Panasonic sucks, I hated Pioneer since the 80s, Sony has sucked especially since they started with the Xplode crap, Blaupunkt has stunk since the early 90s, and Kenwood has gone downhill as well.

I was disappointed to hear the salesman tell me that Alpine followed the trend, putting cheaper and cheaper components into their gear to bring the price down to compete with the lower priced units on the market. He went so far to say that if I was in the 3-400 dollar range I would be better getting my old deck repaired than buying a new one, saying my old decks quality is better than a new one in that price range!

Its too bad, I already wont buy an amp thats been built in the past 6 years from most any brand, the only exception being RF for a vehicle which I dont really care about in the first place. If I have a car that I really want to pound or sound good, its getting old, early 90s amps. Am I the only one stunned, disappointed and sickened to see the likes of Orion, Phoenix Gold, HiFonics, etc turn to such garbage? They have gotten to the point where I would run a early 90s Pyramid Gold series(which was flea market trash) before I would run a new Zeus model. Then again, I need to look into US Amps a lil more, I think they are still around doing stuff the old way.
Oh yeah, my point..I can do that with amps, because feature wise they dont change much. But MP3 support IS important to me, as I routinely travel long distances only stopping to fill up. Its nice not having to carry 60 CDs in the front seat. If Im going to crank it, I do put in the real CD, but for moderate volume level long distance cruising, MP3 has its place with me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts