NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Everything German
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to get a replacement battery hold-down for my 2000 Beetle TDI, because mine was missing. The dealer says the original part number 1J0803219 crossed to 6X0959502A, which looks like some dual purpose bracket for holding other things, with a big arm and forks sticking out of it. I have tried installing it every which way I can think of, and it absolutely will not fit. With the fork on the driver side, it interferes with the sheet metal around the headlight. With the fork on the passenger side, it interferes with the A/C hose. Has anybody figured out how this new-style bracket is supposed to work, and what the forks are supposed to do? At the very LEAST, it looks like it would make installing the insulator and plastic cover a bear.

It looks like this one from ECS Tuning: Volkswagen New Beetle 2.0 > Engine > Electrical > ES#252048 Battery Hold Down Strip - 6X0959502A

·
Registered
12,694 Posts
So, maybe the original part has been superseded by this new one and from what I can see from the shape of it, it will definitely not work!? Here is a of the original one, that looks like mine; I would assume this is the original style you need.

https://www.google.com/search?q=1J0803219&sa=N&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&ei=2lQAUoufJoXuyQHp-oH4CQ&ved=0CD4QsAQ4Cg&biw=853&bih=624

We may all; start running into problems like this, as "new" parts are starting to take the placed of "obsolete" parts; then, the superseded parts don't even work. You might order the old part number from 1svwparts.com, it looks like you can still order it. Maybe give them a call first and see if it is still available. Worst case scenario; you could find a used part at a junk yard or try looking up the part for a different model, I would think a jetta, golf, tiguan, audi tt etc.; would have the same exact hold down part as the beetle.

After looking at the old/new part; you could just use a hack saw and cut off the extra part that is added on the new part, the old part is there, just with the added section to it. I generally like to get the "right" part but if for whatever reason, you can't get it, modifying the new part is definitely a option.

Here is the link to 1stvwpart.com;

1stVWParts.com :: Original parts for your Volkswagen just put the part number; in the search field.

There are a bunch of used ones on ebay; this one looks like it is from a dealer, not a bad price and free shipping:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VOLKSWAGEN-1J0803219-GENUINE-OEM-FACTORY-ORIGINAL-CLAMP-/330956109972?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d0e857894&vxp=mtr

·
Everything German
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Having already spent nearly $30 on a $0.12 stamping, I'm not going to throw good money after bad. Hack sawing off the extra piece seems to be the best option. I also note that they're no longer galvanized, so perhaps when this rusts away in six months, I'll see if I can find a used one that will actually fit.

·
Older but not Wiser
1,015 Posts
just hack off the arms. i just added one of these to my friends vr6 passat. after hacking it spray paint it with rust-olium. make sure the "nipple" goes into the indentation on the bottom of the battery (if its an OEM battery) and if not just make sure its snug without breaking the base of the battery.

-jd

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Not sure what VW did here, the bracket Billy posted up looks like the same bracket on my car. I also looked up my 1.8 on ECS and came up with the same crazy 4 dimensional bracket that you posted??

·
Everything German
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
According to the dealer, that's what you get, now (several dealers I looked up parts on line also showed the same thing, even though there is no way on EARTH it could possibly work without modification).

I'm putting a Delco Group 48 battery in it, and it has the indentations in the base for horizontal registration. It's a bit taller than the Group 91 that was in it, but it has plenty of room, still (I'm used to a BMW motorcycle that requires removing part of the FRAME to change the battery) I take it the fabric insulator goes on over the outside of the clamp? This car had a lot of missing parts when I got it (I'm amazed it had enough screws to go down the road without losing parts).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts