NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an automatic, 2002 New Beetle, and I've only owned it for a month or so.

The first time this happened, the check engine light came on, I took it to the shop, and the computer said it was an 02 sensor. We live in Europe, and the person who we bought the car from had JUST started using e10 fuel, which -- I dont think was a good idea, so we switched back to Super plus.

Took my car home after they turned off the check engine light.

FF to a week later, in the drive thru, and as we are in park, the car dies. Embarassing. Gave it a few cranks, took a few times, but it started back up, the check engine light on -- we take it back to the shop.

They run the computer scan on it again, and apparently it reads something along the lines of RPM sensor.

They said it needed updated to the new computer update, so we paid to have that updated, and they turned off the check engine light (they said it would most likely correct itself after the new computer update) and..

Now, a week after this -- my car died after yeilding at a round about. I started it up right away, and it just kept going.

...I think we have a bigger problem than we imagined, help!! :(

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
Sounds like a problem i had

Check all the pipes in the engine for leaks

Also there is an air induction valve. < Not the right word, i can't remember the right word :( But it gets clogged up with dirt and grime, meaning it stays open, rather than closing to let air pass through it. Have it cleaned out or get a new one. If i remember the word i'll post it :)

Cheap repair though :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
1999 VW beetle

hi, the problems that you describe is very similar to what i'm experiencing with my daughters Beetle. the car starts fine when the car is cold. The check engine light comes on as the car starts. We drive the car until it warms up and then the car stalls at an idle or if we stop and try to restart the car it won't start. I believe it is a relay that is opening up the circuit to the fuel pump. I've been trying to find a shop manual to buy on pdf, CD, or DVD. If anyone can help with some direction it would be appreciated. If I come across some info I will post, thanks. :)

·
5/23/10 <3
10,933 Posts
Get the Bentley service manual. You can get one on Amazon or eBay (Cheapest options)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts