NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All:
Since I don't have the shop manual yet, can someone tell me about the removal and replacement of the cannister fuel filter, do you have to remove the right rear tire, is it under a cover or can you access it by putting the car up on a set of car ramps without removing the tire? I haven'looked at it yet, but any help is most appreciated.
FG

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
I am not aware of any filter change from 2000 to 2003 - so here is my experience with our 2000:

It is behind passenger rear tire - tire does not have to be removed, but backing the car up on ramps would probably make things easier. If you use a jack, don't forget the jackstands.

Only tool needed is a philips head screwdriver to remove the clamp holding the filter. The connections to the filter are "quick release" and just require that you squeeze them between thumb and index finger to release. Connections are squarish - it if doesn't release one way, squeeze the other two sides instead. Don't force it with tools, you'll just break 'em.

A little fuel will leak out, but as long as the car as been sitting for a while you won't have to worry about it being under a lot of pressure - wrapping a rag around the connection when you remove it is a good safety idea.

Happy maintenance!

·
Eine Kleine Panzer
210 Posts
You may also want to have a metal clamp handy (the type where you crank a screw and it tightens). My clamp holding my filter on broke and you need a clamp to hold the canister in place. Good luck. It takes longer to jack the car up and put it on stands than it does to change out the filter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts