·
Lurker
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The Ten Worst German Cars Ever Made

#10 BMW 5 Series GT
#9 Volkswagen New Beetle
9.) Volkswagen New Beetle

This is the car that cemented the Beetle's reputation as a "girl's car." Something that VW is still trying to live down today, with the masculine style of the current-gen Beetle.

Suggested By: willkinton247, Photo Credit: Volkswagen
#8 Cadillac Catera (Made in Germany)
#7 Mercedes-Benz C-Class (W202)
#6 Opel Kadett E
#5 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Coupe (W203)
#4 Mercedes-Benz A-Class (W168)
#3 Volkswagen Golf (Mk4)
I'll let our man Patrick George drop some knowledge on why the Mk. IV Golf is on this list.

"This thing. Not because it was a bad car, because it and its fellow cars from that era were so unreliable they continue to haunt Volkswagen to this day.

Volkswagen wants to be a major brand in the U.S., to compete seriously in sales with Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet or Ford. They've even made their cars bigger and more boring to try and attract U.S. buyers. But a lot of potential customers still remember what maintenance nightmares their cars from the late 1990s and 2000s were.

They've gotten better since then, no question. But they still haven't lived that reputation down."
#2 Smart ForTwo
#1 Trabant
VWvortex's response for Golf MK4 being on list:
Top Ten Reasons Why MK4s Should Not Be on Jalopnik’s Top Ten Worst German Cars List - VWVortex

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
First of all, in regard to the NB, I'd like to know what the author's assessment that it was a "chick car" has to do with it being one of Germany's worst cars. And truthfully, that whole stigma was concocted by stubborn air-cooled purists who were upset that the Beetle's 1998 return didn't involve a continuation of their archaic, rear-engined, RWD car that was simple to work on.

But as they say, ignorant assumptions, including those that are irrelevant, can spread like an aggressive cancer.

I also believe the actual numbers of female and male registered owners of NBs when new was about 50/50.

And finally, while I will never post on the Vortex again, I find the admin's rebuttal to this article to be quite accurate.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts