NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
When I had a deer collison, the entire hood was trashed. That along with busted fog lights and grille. The engine came through it unscathed. It had to be replaced with a hood from a junked car and painted to match. I can't tell it wasn't the original. :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ancient thread bump by the new guy! :D

My niece has an '08 that was involved in a minor fender bender - she rear-ended someone. My brother is looking for a replacement hood. There are a couple of u-pull-it yards in my area, but they tend to get slightly older models, in the late '90s/early '00s range rather than late '00s. (They do have 1 '08 right now, but it was a heavy front end collision, so no use for our purposes.)

Looking on the VW parts site, I see the part number is only off by a single letter - 1C0823031M vs 1C0823031L for the '99-05 and '06+ hoods, respectively. Not being very familiar with VAG part numbering, I don't know if the fact the part numbers are that close means anything. So, how close are the hoods? Would a '99-05 hood bolt onto her '08? If yes, would it look out of place?

Appreciate the help!

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
From what we have experienced around here; the typical cut off point and major body changes were from 2006 on, youre looking up of the part numbers confirms this. I would keep looking for a similarly dated hood; I think I would prefer a genuine vw part new or used, rather than a offshore cheap aftermarket body part.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Looking at pictures they look pretty damn similar, but it's hard to tell. Obviously something changed, hence the change in part numbers, but for all I know that just means they moved a mounting clip for the hood liner or something inconsequential like that.

Definitely want a factory part, hence my keeping an eye on the junkyard. Hoods are only like $55, no matter what make/model of car. I picked up a spare for my CTS-V, factory aluminum part is around $850 from the dealer!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Pulled an '06 hood at the junkyard today, so I'll be bringing that home for Christmas to put on my niece's car. I was worried as I was approaching the car, looked like someone had butchered the hood in the process of getting something else off the car, but it was OK once I checked it out. They had chopped through the passenger side hinge with a sawz-all, and twisted the driver side hinge to hell, but the hood itself was fine.

Based on what I saw at the junkyard, I'm 99% certain the '99-05 and '06+ hoods are interchangeable. I pulled a hood off an '03 (red) to compare to the hood off the '06 (tan). I only found 2 differences:

- Both hoods have the windshield washer hose routed into the hood by the passenger side hinge. The '06 hood also has a wiring harness running into the hood at the same spot; the '03 hood does not have that wiring harness. I'm not even sure where that wiring harness goes - didn't poke around that much, and the hood is still in my car. I don't see any reason one couldn't transfer the wiring harness from your damaged '06+ hood onto a good donor '99-05 hood.

- The '06 hood had a hood liner (which I had removed before taking the pics); the '03 hood didn't. The slots that the hood liner clips mount to are the same on both hoods, so the '03 hood could have had a liner, but that particular junkyard hood no longer had the liner in place.

What I really wanted to do was bolt an "old" hood onto a "new" car, or vice versa, to truly verify that the hoods fit the same, but that wasn't possible. While the hoods on both cars were intact, the front bumpers were either gone completely or torn up enough that it wouldn't have been any good for verifying fitment. Based on laying the hoods side-by-side, and putting one on top of the other, they appear structurally identical.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts