NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a cute little white bug yesterday and I'm so excited! It's a 2002 White Beetle GLS and I love it. I've wanted one for as long as I can remember. The engine runs great, it just needs some cosmetic fixing and I want to do it as cheaply as possible. If anyone on here could help me out with these questions, I would greatly appreciate it.

The seats are in awful shape, are custom covers best or can I go with the universal fit?

I have no floor mats and I desperately need some - are universal okay?

Some lights are out and I'm not sure what bulbs I need - the light by the license plate, one interior light and the small rear light that's by itself.

The rear bumper needs to be touched up, is there any specific brand I should use? The car is white.

I need the light housing for the lights by the license plate on both sides. The salvage yards near me don't have any. How much am I looking at for replacements?

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
950 Posts
Universal fit will be ugly almost certainly. You also have to consider the air bag situation, the bags are located in the seat so any cover has to be designed to allow deployment or it would be unsafe.

Wet Okole from all accounts makes excellent seat covers. I am considering splurging on some myself.

The same can be said of universal fit floor mats. They universally fit poorly.

Husky Liners makes a custom fit floor cover that looks very good for use in areas where there is a lot of rain or snow.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
What color is your interior? I have 2 sets of floor mats for a grey interior that I desperately need to get rid of! One set is stock plain mats, came out of the car at 54k and they are in good shape. The other are molded to the floor and have the New Beetle logo on them. I'd sell both to ya for a decent price if you're interested...

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,854 Posts
Welcome to the wonderful world of beetles.

I know you said that your concern is cosmetic, and you said your beetle runs great, but as a fellow beetle owner, how is the mechanical side of things? What are the miles on your car? Has the timing belt been changed? Even with a low mileage car, the years on the belt might warrant you having it changed.

Sometimes a car that runs great doesn't necessarily mean that there's underlying issues.

Just concerned is all. I want and wish you many happy trouble free miles and years on your beetle. All the best to you and please let us know your beetle's mechanical condition.

All the best.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the fast responses! This forum has been a wealth of information for the one whole day that I've had my little bug, so I'm sure I'll learn a lot after a few more ;)

I bought it from my mom's friend who owns an auto body shop. He bought it from some chick who couldn't afford it and had a lien on it, so he made it his pet project. He just replaced the valves, gasket and timing belt and some other things (sorry, I'm not the most car knowledgeable person around!). Unfortunately, the AC doesn't work. I just took it to my mechanic and the compressor, dryer and expansion valve all need to be replaced. He's going ahead and getting parts and I hope he's going to fix it for free or at cost. Not sure, but one of the primary reasons I needed a new car was to have AC as I live in the south.

It's a 2002 with 150k miles on it. The girl who owned it previously did not take care of it at all! The tint in the back is peeling, she kept the windows down a lot so the headliner needs to be replaced soon, it needs seat covers, floor mats and for some reason the dash is covered in these awful scratch marks. Like I said, some lights need to be replaced, I just saw that the seat levers are missing on both sides, the front decal needs to be replaced and I need a vase! I bought a universal floor mat that looks horrible, so I'm taking that back. I have an old Ford Ranger that I never wanted to look cute and now I'm all about blinging out my little bug! It's so exciting!

SmileyBug - I'll PM you for prices if I can! I have a grey interior as well.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Isn't it funny!... I too owned cars many ... from mustangs, MGB, trucks, SUVs.... None of them had EVER!!... Been as clean, modified or more worthy of my attention-affection as my BUG!!
Glad your here! Many great people around! Don't forget pics! We all love to see!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Mom, Wife, Lover of VW's
186 Posts
Isn't it funny!... I too owned cars many ... from mustangs, MGB, trucks, SUVs.... None of them had EVER!!... Been as clean, modified or more worthy of my attention-affection as my BUG!!
Glad your here! Many great people around! Don't forget pics! We all love to see!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Same here, all of my bugs have had some type of modification, but none of my other cars I have owned. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts