NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all hi to all members of this great web site.

I have New beetle 1999 2,0.
After replacment water pump, timing belt, oi, oil filter, battery and air filter I get low oil pressure warning.

I read a lot of threads about this, but I cant solve my problem.
When car warm up to working temperature red oil pressure light will flash a few times at the same time few beeps, then goes off. Light and beeps. If I continue driving it came back again.
I already replace oil presure sensor, test wirening with connect oil presure wire to ground in this case I dont get oil warning. I remove oil pan can and clean oil pump pick up tube. I replace both oil and oil filter 2 times. I use Aral motor oil. I Replace coolant teperature senseor.
Any sugestion what else can I do? Any help will be very helpful.

·
Registered
12,722 Posts
I would test the oil pressure; to see what the real world oil pressure actually is. Get a oil pressure test gauge and that way; you can drive the car and see what the gage says when driving around. Have you seen; any oil sludge, when you had the oil pan and pickup removed? How clean; was the engine?

Here is the oil pressure testing info:

Volkswagen Workshop Manuals > Beetle L4-2.0L (AEG) (2000) > Engine, Cooling and Exhaust > Engine > Engine Lubrication > Engine Oil Pressure > Component Information > Specifications

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I have to test pressure with gauge but I have to buy it.
Engine vas pretty clean. Almost no oil sludge.
What can cause low oil pressure? What about viscosity of oil? If I put in litle bit more thick oil? Can this couse any damage to engine?

·
Registered
757 Posts
Yes I have to test pressure with gauge but I have to buy it.
Engine vas pretty clean. Almost no oil sludge.
What can cause low oil pressure? What about viscosity of oil? If I put in litle bit more thick oil? Can this couse any damage to engine?
I would only use a weight of oil that VW recommends for your engine. The Bentley Manual says VW recommends 5W-40 weight oil of a certain spec (full synthetic), but says 5W-30 is acceptable if 5W-40 is unavailable. I believe in ours, I'm using Mobil-1 5W-30 (which is a full synthetic and meets VW's spec).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I cant check oil pressure with gauge. I won't pay 100 euro for this.
Any sugestion what else can I do?
Now we have 30 degrees Celsius in my town. If I drive about 10 km I get light and beeping. I wil go mad with this.

·
Registered
12,722 Posts
Where do you live? You can pick up a oil pressure gage cheap; at places like harbor freight or order it online:

Engine Oil Pressure Test Kit

Pittsburgh Automotive - Item#98949

Test and diagnose engine oil pressure issues

Only: $24.99 (search online for a extra 20% off coupon)

http://t.harborfreight.com/engine-oil-pressure-test-kit-98949.html?utm_referrer=https://www.google.com/

https://www.google.com/search?q=oil+pressure+gage&rlz=1C9BKJA_enUS603US603&oq=oil+pressure+gage&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l3&sourceid=chrome-mobile&espv=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en-US

·
Registered
757 Posts
What weight of oil did you put in the car? Is it full synthetic? Does it meet the VW spec? What brand oil filter did you use?

I keep thinking that the solution to the problem might just be to do another oil change with a VW oil filter and the proper VW spec oil.

·
Registered
152 Posts
How many miles/km's on this car? did this start after you did the work on the car?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Car have around 250km. This started after they change water pump, time belt, oil, air filter, oil filter...
but there is no change in performance of car.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,076 Posts
What oil was put into the car?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Where is the oil pressure sensor located and how hard is it to replace? We have an intermittent oil light blinking issue I want to get fixed

·
Registered
70 Posts
In my haynes manual for 1998-2010 it shows it being where the oil filter housing area. It is on the top side. Says all engines are similar. As with any electrical stuff would be good to disconnect the battery. It shouldn't be hard but disconnect the connector and unscrew the sensor. Have new sensor on hand so you can swap them quick and not make a mess. Easier to see if the secondary air injector is out of the way.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts