NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

Im new here and I just traded in my old ford for a 2003 New beetle convertible...IT'S AWESOME...its also a stick which I am just learning to drive. Any tips/advice for a newbie?

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Welcome to the Org!

Here's a good read with lots of information for anyone who's just gotten their first NB -
http://newbeetle.org/forums/new-member-forum/51021-newbie-welcome-kit.html

Many new to NBCs, New Beetle Convertibles, have issues with opening and closing the top properly. You don't indicate if yours is power or manual, but here's a helpful video, sorry I don't remember who put this up originally, I want to say pencilneck -

Convertible Top Operation Video
New Beetle Convertible Basic Top Operation - YouTube

I also have boots and windstops available for the Verts -
http://newbeetle.org/forums/parts-accessories/52409-nbc-convertible-items-sale-living-thread.html

And I don't currently have an '03 NBC Owner's Manual, but I do have it available in .pdf (complete manual) $15
http://newbeetle.org/forums/parts-accessories/48896-fs-owners-manuals-40-shipped.html

Enjoy your new Vert Bug!

MORAV

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
Welcome to the Org, and Welcome to the New Beetle Convertible! :party:

The VW 5-speed is the easiest manual to drive on the road. You will be an expert in no time! :bigthumb:

·
Beware-Blonde with Beetle
677 Posts
Welcome! :wave: I learned to drive a manual on a 67 bug... ;)

Congrats on your NB!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
warm welcome!

Hello all!
thanks For the warm welcome everyone! I'm really excited about My beetle and Thanks for all the information Morav i'll get started on reading it asap. And if anyone knows of any severe problems with the 2003 NBC it'll be cool if you could let me know...im in college and im broke lol

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Hello everyone!

Im new here and I just traded in my old ford for a 2003 New beetle convertible...IT'S AWESOME...its also a stick which I am just learning to drive. Any tips/advice for a newbie?
Welcome to the ORG :)

What type of engine do you have in your beetle and how many miles are on it?

As far as advice on driving a manual. PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE! :D

VW's actually have one of the easiest to shift manual transmissions to learn on. Just give it enough gas to get her going and don't ride the clutch. Use your handbrake if necessary to learn to take off on an incline. After a while it will become second nature to you.
Make sure the timing belt maintanence has been performed at around 75k miles or your little bundle of joy can become a doorstop very soon.
Post some pics of your ride ;)

Welcome and good luck!

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Hello all!
thanks For the warm welcome everyone! I'm really excited about My beetle and Thanks for all the information Morav i'll get started on reading it asap. And if anyone knows of any severe problems with the 2003 NBC it'll be cool if you could let me know...im in college and im broke lol
The only problematic issue I am aware of (well, aside from all the "normal" ones) is the flaps on top of the rear panels that open to drop the top. pencilneck
is the vert top operation expert around here. These were later redesigned into oblivion because of the problems, however to my knowledge there was never any type of recall.

·
a guy with a car
47 Posts
Hello all!
Welcome, fellow broke college student!:D

Pipi is a 5-speed. Only thing I had to get used to was the "push stick in and go to the left" reverse shift. Otherwise, it's a great gearbox. Very smooth.

Enjoy your NBC!

·
Old & New Beetles
2,244 Posts
Welcome to the org! Enjoy your ´vert :)

No need to be afraid of stick shift... Patience and practice makes you a Champ ;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
HI GuYS!
So I'm learning the stick slowly but surely lol gotta work on that take off. I dont know much about engines and stuff but it has a 2.0 on it and i know its not a turbo she has 83k miles on her and i've named her B.B (Bailee Beetle)thanks for all the niceness you guys :D very cool forum :cool:

·
Beetle gone bye bye.
482 Posts
Great name for your Beetle! And a big welcome. :)
I'm still kinda new here myself, but you'll feel at home in not time..
Barb

·
Punky Brusier
96 Posts
I love BB! You're so lucky! I wish I would have gotten a manual beetle :( I have been wanting to learn for a while ( i sort of know how to because of my husbands car) but I cant find standard transmission car where I can comfortably press the clutch. Might trade my beetle in later for a manual one. Congrats on your new beetle by the way.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
I love BB! You're so lucky! I wish I would have gotten a manual beetle :( I have been wanting to learn for a while ( i sort of know how to because of my husbands car) but I cant find standard transmission car where I can comfortably press the clutch. Might trade my beetle in later for a manual one. Congrats on your new beetle by the way.
It's all what you are happy and comfortable with. I learned when I was 12 driving my Uncle's Opel Kadet in Germany. 4 on the Floor. :D I have had Automatics and Manuals but the Manual type cars to me are sooo much more fun to drive. However, I have had friends that just can't seem to learn or are just not happy and comfortable driving a stick. So it's each their own and whatever you prefer just make sure you drive a Beetle :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
an update

Cataspleena
I wouldn't worry too much about having a manual....I'm having trouble getting comfortable with it and I panic...alot:( I hope i'm not one of those people who will never learn because i really want to be able to drive my beautiful car:(

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Cataspleena
I wouldn't worry too much about having a manual....I'm having trouble getting comfortable with it and I panic...alot:( I hope i'm not one of those people who will never learn because i really want to be able to drive my beautiful car:(
You will be fine. Just D O N' T PANIC :calvin:
If you worry about stalling it out you will. Just believe in yourself and trust that you will do the right thing. If you are on an incline use your hand brake to help you start out.
Just pull on it while you let out the clutch and give it some gas until you feel it engage and move forward then slowly release the hand brake and smoothly move forward. Also don't just pop that clutch. Let it out sloooowly and give it gas at the same time. You will develope a feeling for it that in time will become second nature and you won't even think about what you are doing. Don't be afraid to give it some gas. It is better to give it a little too much and chirp the tires a little than not enough and stalling it out in the middle of an intersection. If you do, D O N' T PANIC. Push in the clutch to coast and not to come to an abrupt stop which may cause a rear end collision. Just be calm. Push in the clutch and restart the engine, then put in gear and smoothly move forward like nothing happened ;) I know, easier said than done but you will get it eventually. Just give it time and a lot of Practice, Practice, Practice.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey!

Thanks for the manual advice i reallyyy appreciate it :bigthumb: i've been practicing today and im actually seeing improvement and nowww here's a picture of Bailee B. isnt she lovely!:nblove:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Thanks for the manual advice i reallyyy appreciate it :bigthumb: i've been practicing today and im actually seeing improvement and nowww here's a picture of Bailee B. isnt she lovely!:nblove:
Very nice! Now lets tune it up so it can beat that red car in the corner :D

1 - 20 of 30 Posts