VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

Just purchased my first new beetle. I bought a 1999 white GLS with 100,000 miles that is painted up like Herbie and am very excited. This isn't my first beetle, as I also own a 1972 beetle, but it is my first new beetle.

I've got a question for anyone that can help. I noticed when it got dark last night that my dash lights were not working. I have tried searching how to replace the bulb and am getting absolutely no where. Would anyone know how to replace the main light bulb that illuminates the speedometer? I would prefer to fix it myself if I can, but am completely clueless as how to go about doing something like this.

Thanks! :D

·
Worry less, drive more
4,270 Posts
Don't think this is a stupid question but is the dial to the left of the steering wheel turned all the way on? That dial adjusts the brightness of the dash lights and it can get turned so the lights look like they're off.

If that doesn't solve the problem, then I know someone will chime in to help you.

Welcome to the Beetle family!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't think this is a stupid question but is the dial to the left of the steering wheel turned all the way on? That dial adjusts the brightness of the dash lights and it can get turned so the lights look like they're off.

If that doesn't solve the problem, then I know someone will chime in to help you.

Welcome to the Beetle family!
Trust me I don't think that's a stupid question at all....it's a very good one and the answer to it is yes that was the first thing I checked. :) I tried turning it both ways and unfortunately there is no light. Good question though. My best friend owns a beetle and she took it to the shop because her radio said "MIN". They came out and told her it was because the volume was turned down. Needless to say they all had a good laugh about it and so have I. So there is no way that I would ever think your question was dumb.

·
Worry less, drive more
4,270 Posts
:D That's a good story. I've said and done my share of dumb things with my car.

Bummer that it wasn't an easy fix though.

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
Best case might be to pick up a Haynes/Chiltons/Bentley repair manual and check into how to access that area.

If all the bulbs where out? I would suggest a blown fuse. But the cluster alone? Very odd? I would have thought they would use several bulbs and not just one.

Might be time for something like an LED map light stuck into that area so at least you can drive at night until you get this resolved.

S-

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
Welcome to the great and wonderful ORG! Many fantastic cars, people and answers lurk in this great land. If you haven't done so already, take time to fill in your profile and post a few photos so we can ORGle them!!
Hello from the warm reaches of North Carolina!

The fuse issue is my first thought. Somewhere here there is a fuse map that might be helpful.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks TedyBear I will do that. If worse comes to worse I will have it looked at. Just hoping for a quick easy and cheap fix to do myself.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks 02 SilverSport! I will look into the fuses this weekend. Will give everyone an update once I know what's going on.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just a FYI for all, checked my fuses this morning and found that the illumination fuse was in fact blown out. Already ran to advanced auto parts, got a replacement and the lights are now working. Thank you all for your knowledge! Just got my handsome Herbie washed and I'm going to get pics now to post. Thank you all again!

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
Seeing as the lighting back there are all small multiple LEDs, I doubt it's a bulb issue. Has to be a fuse or the dimmer.

·
Worry less, drive more
4,270 Posts
Woohoo!!! I didn't even think of the fuse. An inexpensive and easy fix is such a relief. Good job! :cool:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts