NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey i just bought a 2000 2.0 liter beetle for my 16 year old daughter. it has 97,000 miles on it. i think i got a great deal however there are some things i am not sure how to fix and need help.

1) the driver side automatic window only goes up half way then comes back down. however if i help it at the half way point it will go all the way up.

2) my air bag light stays on. i have standard code reader but nothing tells me about what code is for airbag light. is there anything i should check?

3)I think i have a bad Catalytic Converter. it rattles when we roll down the road. what does this normally cost (not at VW dealer)

4) i have one key remote that is not working i have changed batteries but still no Joy it wont work if i replace do i have to take it to VW dealer to load the car code?

5) just got a P1426 code on my code reader - manufacture specific DTC i think it is related to Tank Vent or Valve Open - not sure what this means any help?

Thanks to anyone who can help me with any of the above:)

Ibnole

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
forgot #6)

6) when i lock the car with the remote it only locks the passenger side and not the driver side i have to do that by hand and then when i use the remote to unlock it only unlock the passenger side and not the driver side.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
This should help!

Window stopping and reversing - The windows are designed with pinch protection, sounds as if there is aenough resistance at the midway point to trick it into thinking something is in the way. Could be as simple as a lubrication issue, or as serious as a bad regulator or motor.

Air Bag Light staying on - the most common problem is the switch in the seat belt coupling (latch), typical solution is replacement, but there could be a multitude of other reasons. Go here to diagnose codes
VW Online Technical Library - Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) Tables

Catalytic Converter - Yep, sounds like it. EPA mandates 10 yr, 100k mile warranty, but you are beyond, dig deep!

Keys and Remotes - Go here to learn all about them. Seldom do you need to involve the Dealer.
sidewinderkey.com

P1426 code - See above

Remote locking and unlocking issues - sounds like a door control module gone bad.

There are many threads on the Org which deal with each of your issues. An advanced thread search for these items should avail you of solutions to many of your issues.

Good luck with your plethora of projects, and let us know if you need any help as you diagnose and work on each.

MORAV

·
5/23/10 <3
10,963 Posts
You could just have a loose heat shield which is rattling. Noticing any drop in MPGs? Any exhaust odors? I had my cat fail and rattled...went over 6 months like that until I finally got a CEL for it (would be a P0420 code). No biggie though if it is the cat. You can go to a muffler shop and get an aftermarket one put on for cheap. I had mine done for less than $200 and its been working great for a year and a half.

As far as your CEL code:

17834/P1426/005158 - EVAP Purge Valve (N80): Open Circuit
Possible Symptoms

Malfunction Indicator Ligh (MIL) active

Possible Causes

EVAP Purge Valve (N80) faulty
Wiring/Connectors from/to EVAP Purge Valve (N80) faulty
Fuel Pump Relay (J17) faulty

Possible Solutions

Check EVAP Purge Valve (N80)
Check Wiring/Connectors from/to EVAP Purge Valve (N80)
Check Fuel Pump Relay (J17)

(From this site: Ross-Tech Wiki)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts