NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys and gals,

My wife and I just bought our first Beetle, an 04 silver coupe with 2.0 and auto trans.

I have a question....

I'm a car guy and something is bothering me about driving this car on the freeway.

At 65 or 70 the engine is reving at 3000-3300 RPM. Is this normal? I feel it seems to need an overdrive.

Thanks for your help

Lee

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Perfectly normal. it's just a 4-banger with what seems to be low gearing. My 5-speed runs 4000rpm at 80Mph.. which is on-par with your rage for 65/70.

·
Lurker Status Assumed.
858 Posts

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
Is this really considered high rpms? I know V-8's run much lower RPM's, but there are also a lot more moving parts. It seems any 4 cylinder that i have owned was always in the 3,000+ rpm range at those speeds.

·
Auf Wiedersehen, sucka.
133 Posts
I think it all started with the NB in 98 (Mark IV chassis?) My wife had a Cabrio which revved lower although it, too, was a 2.0L. But the Cabrio never made it to that Chassis as it was replaced with the Beetle ragtop. Anyone know of newer Jets or Golfs with regard to the rpms?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I am no mechanic-- but I just had my Beetle in dealership for a brake light problem (still under original warranty).When I picked Woodstock up, they told me they replaced my catalytic converter, as they heard a slight "rattle". I have had the car about 10 months, and did not notice anything. (now has 24,000 miles)

Well, there is a big difference, esp at high speeds. It defintely is at lower rpms now, and runs smoother.

·
Registered
2 Posts
yeah my wife and i just bought a 2000 GLS with the auto and when we run on the interstate at 65-70 we're turing about 3000 3200 rpm's. i think its the small 4 cyc. that just naturally rev. really high..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts