VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Beetle <3
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi-
I just bought a 2002 VW Beetle turbo S. I bought is sight unseen (I know I know) from a dealer out of state. It was supposed to be a well maintained vehicle that actually belonged to the dealers son and I was given a list of things that were recently fixed on it. All pics looked good and Car Fax was clean. When it got here, needless to say it was a mess. The interior is trashed. Many plastic pieces broken or missing, Headliner is held up by thumb tacks, vinyl on door cards is stapled, list goes on. Go to under the hood.... List of issues. It does run ok. We have determined it WAS in an accident and now I have no choice but to start replacing and fixing all the stuff that is wrong with it. The engine seems to be ok, but there are ALOT of little issues. EX: engine cover is missing, box surrounding battery needs to be replaced, fuse box on top needs to be replaced, air box mounts all broken. A lot of loose stuff and broken/cracked stuff. I sunk all my cash into buying it so I will have to fix it a little at a time. My question to the group is I am looking for suggestions of good places to look for parts, both under the hood and interior. Or if there is anyone in the south/east WI area that knows bugs that would be willing to help me out by taking a look at it.... (I thought about taking it to a VW dealership and having them look at it and make me a list of the issues and what I need to get but I am a woman and they would probably "see me coming a mile away" and it would probably cost me $$$)

·
T.O.D.7 Will U be there?
869 Posts
HANG ON ....helps on the way!

Welcome to the org from TN

Post some pics of your problem areas so we can SEE.

Glad you found us!

:)

·
Registered
15,592 Posts
Make a full list of parts that you see you need and things that you can tell that need repaired; post up a "wanted" thread in the classifieds section, maybe some members have some extra parts lying around that they can sell you. Ebay and online junk yard search engines, is another possibility. It might be worth it; to to take the car to a independant VW shop and have them do a full evaluation of the car and then get back with us, with their recommendations. There are allot of things you can do yourself; if your willing to get your hands a little dirty and work with some tools! Getting a VW type scanner would be a good idea; these can be brought cheap on sites like amazon.com (search vag 405 or vs450). Welcome and we will do our best to help you get your Turbo S back in tip top shape! :)

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
Not all VW dealerships are dishonest. My local one over here in Eau Claire has excellent technicians and service advisors that won't steer you wrong. It's true that genuine VW parts and labor cost more, but it's good stuff put in by highly-trained people that know Volkswagens, at least where I live.

Was the dealer you bought your Beetle from a VW dealer?

It sounds like you'll have to fix things gradually, and it's a shame that the place you bought it from misrepresented the car, but once everything is up to snuff, you will love your Beetle.

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
^^^^pushing Fifty is dead on!,Welcome to the great and wonderful ORG! Many fantastic cars, people and answers lurk in this great land. If you haven't done so already, take time to fill in your profile and post a few photos so we can ORGle them!!

·
Beetle <3
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Everyone!! No the dealer I bought it from was not a VW dealer. Just a small local dealer In Louisiana. My boss has gotten several vehicles from him in the past with now issue. But it is what it is at this point and I just need to dig in and get my hands dirty! I am pretty handy and I have many friends that are mechanics so we will be doing most of the work. And now that I found this site I feel much better knowing I have a place to ask questions. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts