VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have just bought my first Volkswagen, a sliver 2000 2L Beetle and so far so good. It's a great little car. I have finally had enough of unreliable French cars so am hoping this car will prove to be more reliable, Just joined your forum as it seem to provide heaps of useful information from like minded owners :)

One little question.. the A/C is not working and I suspect the fan controller relay as I can't seem to get the compressor clutch to work, the fuses all seem to be ok, even those on top of the battery. If I have to replace this are the Chinese copies which seem to be available on eBay and Amazon any good?

Oh, Can anybody recommend a good independent engineer near St Neots in Cambridgeshire?

Carl

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks ...Now that I have one I see them everywhere... even our neighbour has one, must be a good sign :)

Carl

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Welcome! French cars; haven't been imported to the USA, since the 80s and early 90s with Renault, Peugeot being the main brands and earlier on Alfa Rameo and Citroën, seemed to have stopped earlier. French cars, never had a good reputation here in the USA; from the earlier times. They had a bad combination of being expensive, unreliable and parts prices were high. However, when I have visited Germany, French cars still seemed to be on the road and relatively popular even with old Citroën 2CV's, still driving around! That was in the 90's but when seeing video of europe; Citroën cars still seem to be popular? I would interested, in hearing; what your experience has been with with French cars; what brands, models and specific issues you have had. Where are they placed in the market; do they tend to be cheaper, smaller economy cars?

As for VW parts; in general, we recommend oem VW parts over Chinese parts but with the way globaled manufacturing is; sometimes genuine VW parts are actually made in China! For electrical parts; aftermarket stuff, can cause problems but you just have to research things and find the best parts for the price.

In the UK, http://www.eurocarparts.com/ seems to be a popular vendor of good auto parts at a good price with locations being close to most people?

Unfortunately, this site; is USA based so our knowledge of VW repair shops there, is limited. A quick google search; popped up some VW repair specilaists in your area, you might check out: https://www.google.com/search?q=Cam...id=chrome&ie=UTF-8#q=Cambridgeshire+VW+repair

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome! French cars; haven't been imported to the USA, since the 80s and early 90s with Renault, Peugeot being the main brands and earlier on Alfa Rameo and Citroën, seemed to have stopped earlier. French cars, never had a good reputation here in the USA; from the earlier times. They had a bad combination of being expensive, unreliable and parts prices were high. However, when I have visited Germany, French cars still seemed to be on the road and relatively popular even with old Citroën 2CV's, still driving around! That was in the 90's but when seeing video of europe; Citroën cars still seem to be popular? I would interested, in hearing; what your experience has been with with French cars; what brands, models and specific issues you have had. Where are they placed in the market; do they tend to be cheaper, smaller economy cars?
About 20 years ago I bought a Citroen XM, an amazing car to drive when it worked! It was technically more advanced than most cars at the time and with the hydrolastic suspension gave a really comfortable ride. The problems was that you could not just get into the car and drive. You had to get into the car, turn the engine on and wait as the suspension set and the car rose up. After a few months, the front of the car would rise up but not the back which made driving interesting - the car did level out after a few yards bouncing down the road! After about 50k miles the head gasket went. I took the car to a main Citroen dealer who charged me over £1000 to replace the head gasket but this did not include replacing the timing belt." It looked ok so we just reused the old one"!! When after 6 months the car started to lose water again I decided it was time to sell her. The 3000 mile service interval was proving expensive as well.

Time being a 'healer' about three years ago I bought a little Citroen C2 as a little run around. Another 'amazing' car with every bell and whistle, semi auto gearbox with 'flappy paddles', auto windscreen wipers, auto headlights etc.. The the trouble started (again), broken front springs, gearbox actuator (expensive), exhaust, suspension bushes, clutch, tyres, throttle body, accelerator pedal.. So close to a £1000 a year just to keep the car running!! It now seems the ECU needs replacing! After spending £800 at the end of last year I decided enough is enough, which is why I bought the Beetle.

Citroen spares do make BMW parts look cheap!

On the basis that there are a lot of high mileage VWs driving around I hope I have made a sensible choice with a Beetle :)

The French are a pretty loyal bunch and do buy French made cars, a few years ago the majority of cars on the roads in France seems to be home built. More recently I would say there are increasing numbers of foreign built cars.

Here in the UK, second hand French cars are much cheaper than most other cars. German built cars do seem to hold their value a lot better. A 16 year old Beetle costs about the same as an equivalent 10 year French car ..

Carl

·
Registered
128 Posts
About 20 years ago I bought a Citroen XM, an amazing car to drive when it worked! It was technically more advanced than most cars at the time and with the hydrolastic suspension gave a really comfortable ride.
Just FYI. The Citroen had Hydropneumatic suspension, not Hydrolastic. Hydrolastic was an Alex Moulton design, used in Minis and other BMC/BL cars and also some models of the Moulton bicycle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just FYI. The Citroen had Hydropneumatic suspension, not Hydrolastic. Hydrolastic was an Alex Moulton design, used in Minis and other BMC/BL cars and also some models of the Moulton bicycle.
I stand corrected... but they are all expensive when they go wrong :)

Carl

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Carl, where are the pics; of your New Beetle!?! We want to see it! :)

As far as reliability; at 16 years old Volkswagen, you will most likely need to go through the car and replace things, to make it a reliable daily driver. These cars have their quirks and DO require attention; like most German cars, they cannot be ignored! :) The GOOD thing is; the mechanicals are based on the Mark IV Golf platform! So, most parts are plentiful; as they share many parts with the Jetta and Golf. So, with a large VW base in Europe and being close to Germany; I don't think finding parts, should be a problem. If you plan on repairing things yourself; I recommend, getting a cheap scan tool, like the VAG 401 or Foxwell NT500 on amazon.co.uk or check out the VCDS by Ross Tech. The good thing is; that we are here to help and pretty much anything that goes wrong with these cars... has ALREADY gone wrong and someone, on here has already FIXED it! :whip: So, we can support you and you can check out the many diy's on most repairs and if you have questions, we are here to help and support you! :)

Now, post up those pics! :flipper:

:thewave:

PS: we have some members here from the UK and hopefully, you can get to know each other! :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Volkswagen new beetle

Here she is... Must take some more photos..

1 month on and still smiling, only had to reset the airbag light one when somebody was a bit rough with the seat getting into the back :)

Carl

1 - 11 of 11 Posts