NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Old & New Beetles
2,244 Posts
Welcome to the org :)

Sophie is sweet! It is very good choise as a first car.
Happy miles with it; enjoy :)

Greetings from Finland.

Btw. my first car was old Beetle (1970 model) :p
I still have it :thup:

·
'Mary Jane' 08 Blue SE
34 Posts
Welcome! I LOVE that color!! Last month I got an 08 Laser Blue NB. Not my first car but my first Beetle of any kind. I totally understand how excited you are!

·
Sophie <3
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!! I love Sophie. I'd like to stick with the NB's but I don't really like the new 2012 body style :( And Tami I love the laser blue! They are gorgeous.

·
Super Moderator
20,813 Posts
Welcome to the org:wave2:

What an awesome first car to have:banana:. Please keep posting here (especially pics) and keep us in the know concerning Sophie. This place is a great resource to keep Sophie running happy, as well as saving you money down the road!

This place is also great for meeting fellow beetle peeps at Get Togethers (GtG's). We're having one @ Dreher Island SC (Prosperity, SC) next weekend. It would be cool if you and your family could attend.

Also there's the Mack-Daddy GtG, the Tail of the Dragon cruise/weekend, held in May. We're already in the planning stages and reserving our hotel rooms. You and the fam should join us:)

By the way, Sophie is an awesome name for a beetle- you did good:bigthumb:!

·
"SunShine" 01 1.8T 5sp.
1,671 Posts
COngrats and welcome!! She is beautiful! I hope you and the family can come this weekend.. It would be nice to meet some new people. lol.:D

·
Sophie <3
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haha thank yall! So are the GtG's like official things? Next weekend we have to go to a wedding but I can start finding out about the "Mack Daddy" :D And I need yall's help now because I bought plates to go on the front of Sophie because her clear coat is popping off some in the front, and I can't figure out how to get them up there. I've been reading some on the forum and the only thing I see (other than drilling holes) is something called a Plate Mate, but I'm not really sure what that is...any help?

·
Super Moderator
20,813 Posts
Haha thank yall! So are the GtG's like official things? Next weekend we have to go to a wedding but I can start finding out about the "Mack Daddy" :D And I need yall's help now because I bought plates to go on the front of Sophie because her clear coat is popping off some in the front, and I can't figure out how to get them up there. I've been reading some on the forum and the only thing I see (other than drilling holes) is something called a Plate Mate, but I'm not really sure what that is...any help?
Well our GtG's aren't official, as in rigid and leaving you feeling disconnected with all who are involved. Some GtG's range from the impromptu "hey lets meet at Sonic" GtG, to monthly GtG's such as the "Bugs 4 Breakfast" GtG's we have here in Jacksonville- fist Saturday morning of the month.

Now there's GtG's that are legend and are considered the "Mack Daddy" GtG events. GtG's such as:
TNBRU- Texas New Beetle Roundup
nbEast- New Beetle East
BEREA- New Beetle GtG, held in Berea, OH
ROSWELL- Now know as "Return To Roswell (R2R), held in, of course, Roswell New Mexico.

The Berea GtG still exsists, but as far as I know, it's not on the grand scale of it's early years. I so want to make a Berea GtG one of these days.

R2R was resurrected in 2009, and is held every other year. The 2011 edition just finished up this past June. Roswell is considered to be the Mack Daddy GtG.... until another showed up to join the ranks- more on that in a bit.

Out of the legend GtG roster, Berea and Roswell are the only ones still functioning. There's hope that the others will find new life.

The newest Mack Daddy GtG to join the fold is the annual Tail Of The Dragon (ToD) GtG cruise/weekend, held the first weekend of May every year, in the North Caroling mountains...Bryson City to be exact. This GtG started off with 12 beetles; the maiden voyagers we like to call ourselves, back in 2009. 2010 brought 53 new beetles from every part of the country, including California, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Nevada, Wisconsin, Tennessee, both Carolinas, Texas, Virginia, Georgia, Florida and i'm sure i'm forgetting a state:eek:

ToD, like Roswell is an event where very advance planning is the key to not only success, but assuring solid commitment from each orger/beetle owner. We start threads for the event at least a year out and promote the madness out of it.
Here's the link to the ToD thread: CLICK HERE Feel free to join in on the ToD fun- even if you're not attending... it's great to join the party:banana:

Still, these GtG's are casual and family friendly. The Mack Daddy ones are well planned, but they're very casual. It's amazing how we get together and it's like we're family; It's like we're old friends, seeing each other again, even though many of us have never personally met. ToD is a must-attend... you should come.

I, along with some other local Jacksonville folk, host the end of summer GtG, in St. Augustine FL; usually held on the 2nd Saturday of September. This year it will be the 3rd weekend in Sept.... year 3 BTW:D. It's not at Mack Daddy status, but it's starting to grow very well.

So there you are... GTG/101. I hope your reference frame has been expanded:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts