VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
We've just bought a 2006 beetle!:clap: It has 100K on it, and would like to get some advise on parts.

Here are the questions:
1.) Front/Rear brakes. Worth the extra for drilled slotted rotors? If yes what is brand? (I dont want the cheapest set-up, but dont want 2500 Brembo kit.

2.) Shocks and Struts needs to be replaced. I've heard about the Blau Set. Thinking to go with that, but the kit does not includes a set of coil springs. I dont want to lower it, probably keep the same height. Is there any recommendation on new springs? Any particular brand, if it improves the quality of the ride is even better.

3.) Bushings, bearings. Since the suspension will be apart, what other bushings, bearings are recommended to get replaced? If yes, where to get them? are there any good companies around making bushings?

4.) Its a manual transmission. are there some poly bushings on the top of the transmission where the cables connected from the tranny to the shifter?

5.) The pedals are a bit loose. Not up-down, but more to the sides. I am able to move them from left-right a little bit. Seems something loose, or have been worn out?

6.) The Airbag lights are on. How to figure out what is causing it?

7.) I've noticed some oil leak. Seems to be coming from a piece that has two hoses connected to and its on the side of the firewall, somewhere in the middle. What is that part? Is it common for leaking?

8.) When the engine is cold, and it's turned on, the water light comes on blue. Is this normal on these cars?

That's all I can think right now.
Any help/advise would be appreciated!
Thank you!

·
5/23/10 <3
11,236 Posts
Hello!
We've just bought a 2006 beetle!:clap: It has 100K on it, and would like to get some advise on parts.

Here are the questions:
1.) Front/Rear brakes. Worth the extra for drilled slotted rotors? If yes what is brand? (I dont want the cheapest set-up, but dont want 2500 Brembo kit.

2.) Shocks and Struts needs to be replaced. I've heard about the Blau Set. Thinking to go with that, but the kit does not includes a set of coil springs. I dont want to lower it, probably keep the same height. Is there any recommendation on new springs? Any particular brand, if it improves the quality of the ride is even better.

3.) Bushings, bearings. Since the suspension will be apart, what other bushings, bearings are recommended to get replaced? If yes, where to get them? are there any good companies around making bushings?

4.) Its a manual transmission. are there some poly bushings on the top of the transmission where the cables connected from the tranny to the shifter?

5.) The pedals are a bit loose. Not up-down, but more to the sides. I am able to move them from left-right a little bit. Seems something loose, or have been worn out?

6.) The Airbag lights are on. How to figure out what is causing it?

7.) I've noticed some oil leak. Seems to be coming from a piece that has two hoses connected to and its on the side of the firewall, somewhere in the middle. What is that part? Is it common for leaking?

8.) When the engine is cold, and it's turned on, the water light comes on blue. Is this normal on these cars?

That's all I can think right now.
Any help/advise would be appreciated!
Thank you!
1) No, it's not. Unless you're doing track events or something, basic rotors are perfectly fine for a daily driver.

2) Are your springs broken? If not, you can just replace your shocks. Stock springs should last a very, very long time. I just replaced my struts in my GTI. Still on stock springs at 156k.

3) I just did a full suspension refresh on my GTI. First, I'd get the car in the air and inspect everything. But at 100k, its probably time for a pretty thorough refresh. I got a refresh kit on ECS Tuning for my GTI and it had most things I needed. I think I had to order a few extra bits and pieces but not many.

4) I haven't dove into my shifter yet. I know there are bushings and such in the system, but as far as I know nothing has been touched on my GTI's and things are still solid. If your shifter is still pretty tight, then I wouldn't mess with it.

5) Not sure. Might just have to look at them closely yourself and see if you can see anything obvious.

6) You'll need a VW specific scanner to pull the airbag code. Then fix the problem and reset the light with that scanner. There are some common problems, but there is no reason to just replace things without having the code(s).

7) Could you post a picture of where the leak is?

8) Completely normal. There isn't a temp gauge so that light being blue lets you know the engine is still cold. Once it goes out, its up to operating temperature. If it comes back on after it goes out, stays on for a long time, blinks, or comes on red, then you need to look into it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts