NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Thanks for the weclome guys, well I am a new Beetle owner and honestly only bought the car for the Audio Characteristics thinking I saved some coin I purchased a used one.
Thinking I did my homework I purchased one with a intermittent oil light flashing, Towed it home to pull the pan and clean the pickup tube etc...
So I began to drain the oil it was clean..
Checked the service sticker service was performed less than 200 miles tagged Castrol 5-40 Syntec.
Removed the oil pan encountered 2 bolts missing on the front of the pan, found the pickup tube clean as new.
So without questioning I purchased a new pump and pickup tube figured what the hell put it all back together and filled engine with new Castrol 5-40 syntec and replaced filter started car oil light out put approximately 60 miles on her light began to flash at rpms below 1500 mainly idle raise the rpm light goes out figured I must have missed something buit did notice some bottome end noise...
So I pulled the pan off had a ton of bearing shell so at this point was pretty sure I starved the bottem end I also decided to pull the valve cover and inspect and see how bad I scared the cams and journals top end looked great.. Upon inspections of the bottom end I noticed #2 main bearing was toast and #3 was slightly loose I removed the bearing caps and found pretty much destroyed #2 main and scared #3 (pitted) so I decided at this point was to just roll some new bearings into it and get out of this car and go for another... So I checked the crank, replaced bearings that were damaged inspected rod bearings I replaced Bain cap bolts that were removed and replaced the bolts and nuts on the rods understanding these were stretch designed.. I also check oil gap clearence of new shells and was right in the middle of specifications for good range...
To make a long story short all back together engine is very quiet, but I have a oil light that comes on intermittent after about a hour of running almost same symptoms as before but I can get on the throttle light goes out let idle will come on snap throttle light goes out.. Now from the previous repairs I know the sender is working correct and in fact killed the bottom end once... one question is there another area I'm not seeing that can be plugged I have overlooked like maybe the oil filter adapter head and assy? I'm pretty sure still starving the bottom end from time to time.. I guess I will put a manual gauge but I remember seeing a post here somewhere somone went down the same road I did and ended up using shop air in the block at or around the oil filter adapter the post was hard to understand My oil supply and return lines from the turbo are clear or i thing I would have burnt and or siezed the turbo.. any suggestions or help or is it time to just cut my loss and find another one to build problem is car is so clean leather heated seats sunroof just a nice little car has plenty of power and runs fantastic except for the light I thought it was going to be a simple fix well knowing my luck I should have purchased another one but Im buried on this one now and plan to make it a bad ass little car so anyone that has been down the same road please chime in and help me out LOL.. thanks for letting me become part of the Forum..

·
Registered
14,073 Posts
Hey, you definitely need to hook up a oil pressure testing gauge to bring sanity to your troubleshooting process! How did the crank/rods bearing surfaces look and did you plasti gauge them to see if they are in spec? While you said the cam bearing surfaces looked good; I would also wonder; what the plasti gauging them would show as well. Compared to other people that have been troubleshooting their oil pressure light issues lately; you are the first person that actually had mechanical bottom end damage! Of course; this begs the question (especially, since its pretty obvious the previous owner had the pan off, two bolts missing); when did the damage occur? It could have been before; you replaced the oil pump and previous to your ownership of the vehicle. Ultimately, all this speculation; doesn't really help in your current troubleshooting process anyway.

My first step; would be definitely pull off the oil pressure sender and get a oil pressure test gauge on there, so you know what the ##REAL### oil pressure specs are. Bring some real hard cold facts into your diagnosis of the problem!

Another area to consider; there is a oil pressure valve in the oil filter cooler; I would pull this part, see if it is clogged and clean it, put it back together. Other areas; the oil galleys through the whole system, are they possibly plugged as well? These are hard to know without tearing things apart and cleaning everything or using compressed air to blow out every one of the passage or use pipe style oil galley cleaning brushes, to check for any blockage.

Here are some recent threads and what people ended finding was the problem; you are unique, in that you had bearing damage, so... you may have other issues because of known oil starvation to the point of damaging internal components. :mad: The current question would be; what is the current oil pressure, is there clogging of the system somewhere and are there any other parts that are worn or damaged to the point where they would cause the oil pressure to drop? Hooking up a oil pressure testing gauge would answer the primary question; before moving on to other possibilities of "why" the pressure is low... at this point, you don't even know what that true oil pressure is! Start testing now! :D

oil pressure threads:

light with clogging oil pump

http://newbeetle.org/forums/1-8-liter-turbo/60604-intermittent-oil-pressure-light-2.html

issue with light no mechanical damage;

http://newbeetle.org/forums/2-0-liter-gas/63626-blinking-oil-pressure-light.html

oil pressure issue; blockage

http://newbeetle.org/forums/2-0-liter-gas/62994-trouble-shooting-after-overhaul.html

http://newbeetle.org/forums/2-0-liter-gas/63225-blinking-oil-light.html

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry the text was long.
I plastigauged the crank rod etc everything was sbout middle road on specs I did take some emery cloth and tried a poor man polish real quick. I was just assuming that the gallies, ports etc and possibly the filter adapter head plugged so thats where I will get to next and also put a manual gauge on it see what the its doing. coming from heavy line diesel repair and audio these little NB are a pita to work on. LOL thanks for the reply I just wanted to make sure I was on the right track with this one..:D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I'm pretty sure they had the pan off and probably read the forum before I got here lol.
I'm assuming it was ready to come apart when I got it they possibly re-installed got it running light out for a bit and well the Sucker (me) came along and grabbed it figuring I could go save it with pickup tube clean and oil pump. lol
but yeah I noticed the bottom end the light got me on on the freeway shut if off asap but im sure there was previous damage due to i shut it off as the light illuminated. anyways I will get a gauge on it and pull the oil filter adaptor from the block and see what I can find the story i gathered looks like im puddling on the head and starving the bottom end for oil but I will keep going with this one thanks again.

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Welcome to the great and wonderful ORG! Many fantastic cars, people and answers lurk in this great land. If you haven't done so already, take time to fill in your profile and post a few photos so we can ORGle them!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Sometimes when the engine is running for a while,and you have a good pump,all the oil will get pumped to the top of the motor. Now, if the oil galleys are clogged up,the oil cannot drain back into the pan,to get sucked up by the pump. There's your starvation. This may or may not be the case on your motor, but it's very easy to check if this is happening to you. Run the engine for the amount of time it takes for you to achieve low oil pressure,stop the motor, then immediately check the oil level in the crankcase. If this happens to be the problem you're dealing with, the oil level will read very very low on the stick. Let it sit for a few minutes and check it periodically, the level will continue to rise as the oil slowly drains back down into the pan. Sometimes this happens, and like I said, it may or may not be your problem. But, get yourself a good oil pressure gauge and try this simple little test and you will be heading for a fix! And welcome to the new Beetle .org where we offer real solutions for real problems. :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
14,073 Posts
VW and Audi has release service bulletins for procedures for 1.8Ts that had oil sludge and pick up tube clogging issues; you might find them of interest. In particular; you might note, the areas that they reference, areas to look for clogging and what typically is replaced, in their recommended cleaning procedure process. These parts; would be good for checking for restriction and would be candidates for cleaning or replacement.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/deleontow/2009-12-21_165659_passat_low_oil_presure_bulletin.pdf

1 - 7 of 7 Posts